+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1

    How do I respond to request for acknowledgedment for paternity?

    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am in the state of Pennsylvania

    This is a old issue I'm seeking advice on. Someone I was with back in 2015 fled the state and left for another state after telling me they are pregnant with my child. Later on in early 2017 this same person reached out to me on multiple proxy/fake #s threatening me as well as my family with child support. A month after the harassment I get a court order stating I am the parent I must sign over all my personal information, financial income, and submit to paying child support for a child I don't know if is mine(i disputed the fact it was not my child). So then i submit a appeal and it was approved for paternity DNA testing. Before I was able to go for a paternity test the case was closed and I was relieved of having to sign any paperwork or submit my DNA. I did do a DNA submission but the accuser had no proof and also denied my ability for a DNA test. The court closed the case as their was no proof, I wasn't on the birth certificate, and I didn't need to provide DNA testing that I requested as apart of my appeal. When I went for a blood test the accuser then canceled the court regarding blood testing. Then the case was closed. 9mo later I get a message outta the blue asking for my signature on a acknowledgement of paternity request by supposed accuser again (another fake #) text.

    How am I suppose to respond?


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    71,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Superesx View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am in the state of Pennsylvania

    This is a old issue I'm seeking advice on. Someone I was with back in 2015 fled the state and left for another state after telling me they are pregnant with my child. Later on in early 2017 this same person reached out to me on multiple proxy/fake #s threatening me as well as my family with child support. A month after the harassment I get a court order stating I am the parent I must sign over all my personal information, financial income, and submit to paying child support for a child I don't know if is mine(i disputed the fact it was not my child). So then i submit a appeal and it was approved for paternity DNA testing. Before I was able to go for a paternity test the case was closed and I was relieved of having to sign any paperwork or submit my DNA. I did do a DNA submission but the accuser had no proof and also denied my ability for a DNA test. The court closed the case as their was no proof, I wasn't on the birth certificate, and I didn't need to provide DNA testing that I requested as apart of my appeal. When I went for a blood test the accuser then canceled the court regarding blood testing. Then the case was closed. 9mo later I get a message outta the blue asking for my signature on a acknowledgement of paternity request by supposed accuser again (another fake #) text.

    How am I suppose to respond?
    Why respond to her directly at all?
    Why don't YOU go to court and have the DNA testing ordered? That way, you can ensure that support, custody and visitation matters are all handled appropriately if you are the father, and you can be done with this if you're not the father.


    Last edited by Zigner; 11-10-2017 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Corrected grammatical error.
  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    58,341
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigner View Post
    Why respond to her directly at all?
    Why don't YOU go to court and have the DNA testing ordered? That way, you can assure that support, custody and visitation matters are all handled appropriately if you are the father, and you can be done with this if you're not the father.
    THIS. THIS. This. SUE HER for paternity testing and child support, custody and visitation.


    Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

    Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

    I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.
  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    4,239
    The other option is to ignore it and wait until you get officially summoned to court.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    71,240
    Quote Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
    The other option is to ignore it and wait until you get officially summoned to court.
    The downside to that is if he ends up being served by publication, or even if mom has someone lie about service. He'd be totally in the dark and blindsided at some point down the road due to the default finding of paternity. It's better to be proactive than to be reactive.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    726
    Quote Originally Posted by Superesx View Post

    How am I suppose to respond?
    First I would suggest you find out exactly why the previous paternity case was ended. This matters because if the case was ended in way that would preclude her bringing the case again (known in the law as res judicata or claim preclusion) then the matter is over and cannot be brought up again. While that is not likely given what you said, until you know for certain exactly what ended the case there is at least some possibility that res judicata applies.

    If it doesn’t apply, then the decision turns a lot on what you want to do. You may either take the matter up yourself and file for paternity or you may wait until she does (if ever). There are pros and cons to each one. Note that part of this decision will depend on which state she is now in, the state you are now in, and how easily you can find her to serve if you wanted to start the process yourself. My suggestion to you here is to meet with a family law attorney, go over all the facts, and discuss your options. Unlike some of the others who responded here, I do not believe that you starting the case yourself is always going to be the best option and as I do not have all the facts I will not venture to say what the right course of action ought to be. The one thing I think we all agree upon is that you do not want to sign any acknowledgement of paternity until at least you have verified with an independent DNA test that you are the father.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,888
    I. Would suggest OP get counsel up front...
    Before any DNA testing ....


+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Request to see insurance limits. I don't know how to respond.
    By Kasienda in forum Auto Accidents and Vehicle Claims
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-09-2011, 02:58 PM
  2. How to respond to a modification request?
    By BaxWho in forum Child Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-15-2010, 09:16 PM
  3. Request for Production of Documents: Ex fails to respond
    By WillingToFight in forum Child Support
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12-03-2008, 07:01 AM
  4. Landlord wont respond to maintenance request
    By rozemyst in forum Landlord / Tenant Issues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-28-2006, 10:59 PM
  5. Landlord will not respond to my request to eradicate pest problem
    By ugochi in forum Landlord / Tenant Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2003, 08:23 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© Since 1995 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.