• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband got his salary reduced - he works for salary business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jen2007

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

We have been trying to settle our divorce without having to go to court. I found his paystubs and saw his salary got reduced. He has now his own checking account so I didn’t notice the change. He works for a family business and his salary hasn’t changed in 8 years, except for now that we are getting divorce. Obviously he and his family are doing that to pay less alimony/child support.
What can I do?? How can I fight that??

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

We have been trying to settle our divorce without having to go to court. I found his paystubs and saw his salary got reduced. He has now his own checking account so I didn’t notice the change. He works for a family business and his salary hasn’t changed in 8 years, except for now that we are getting divorce. Obviously he and his family are doing that to pay less alimony/child support.
What can I do?? How can I fight that??
How did you "find" his paystubs?? Are you still living in the same home? Do you work? If not...why?

jen2007

How did you "find" his paystubs?? Are you still living in the same home? Do you work? If not...why?
We live in the same house. I know where he keeps them.
I work PT from home.
Been married 10 years
2 kids (7 and 2 years old)

LdiJ

You probably want to make copies of those paystubs, or take pictures of them with your phone and make sure that they are clear pictures...then get them printed off.

You also will want to research whether it would be reasonable for a business like the family business to be having a bad year causing salaries to need to be reduced. That will be the argument that he makes when you challenge his salary reduction, therefore you need to have facts at your fingertips to refute that.

t74

You need to get a full time job at a company that provides benefits. You do not have the luxury of working part time at home.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I suspect that NJ, like NY, expects more that a few months worth financial records in discovery.

Since the decrease in salary is relatively recent and he has not changed jobs, it should be requested that he explain why his salary has decreased.

FWIW, at the time of my divorce in NY my ex was unemployed. Because he had been difficult, the judge based child support on "imputed income", using our past tax records (that I supplied, because he was generally noncompliant), and used his annual income from the last time he'd had full time employment.

HRZ

AS an aside there are many ways is a closely held business to receive substantial benefits besides " salary ." ..and above all you need to be using competent counsel.

I agree.as to records ..you want to have copies of paystubs a good ways back...and tax returns as well.

WHat kind of business and in what capacity ?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You probably want to make copies of those paystubs, or take pictures of them with your phone and make sure that they are clear pictures...then get them printed off.
And how do you expect the OP could get this admitted in to evidence?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Huh? Please explain why a copy or a picture of a document would not be considered to be evidence?
Well because there is the best evidence rule. A picture of a document is not the best evidence. The actual document is. Let's just start with that. And copies must be certified and authenticated.. And... Should I continue?

Last edited:

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Well because there is the best evidence rule. A picture of a document is not the best evidence. The actual document is. Let's just start with that. And copies must be certified and authenticated.. And... Should I continue?
Would it have to be legally obtained as well, i.e., not stolen?

LdiJ

Think about it? Judge I found these paycheck stubs in our mutual home. I took pictures of them and printed them out. They show that he makes more money than he claims. Do you really think that a child support judge is going to have a problem with that?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Think about it? Judge I found these paycheck stubs in our mutual home. I took pictures of them and printed them out. They show that he makes more money than he claims. Do you really think that a child support judge is going to have a problem with that?
Are you SERIOUSLY going to say that this "evidence" would be allowed over the objection of the other party?

You really have lost your grip on reality.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
LD is spouting nonsense. What OP could do is actually subpoena the wage/compensation information from her husband's employer. That would be a way to get the actual documents LEGALLY in a form that would be acceptable. She would also have to subpoena the person who prepared the records to testify about them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">