• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

After reading this docket, can anyone tell me what is going on with my stepdaughter?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Okay it was a discussion. And yes my questions were answered. But how is me asking what all those terms mean and asking what you think she had done straying from my topic???
The "straying off topic" was our doing, not yours. :)

It appears from the docket entries that your stepdaughter ran afoul of the law in a minor way - as many young people do - and she has been given the opportunity to keep the charge off her criminal record by meeting the terms of a diversionary program. Beyond that, it is difficult to say what she did. Whatever it was, hopefully she has learned a lesson and won't violate the law again.

Chickadee71

Update!!

So more info! SD called H last night to ask about something else and then went onto the topic of her arrest. You can pretty much guess that if SD is calling she either wants something or there's some kind of drama! So this is the first he is hearing about this and he is of course upset. She is saying that when she was with her previous boyfriend that they and another guy in the car got into an accident. She claims she was sleeping in the back seat when it happened and was out cold. Not sure if she was so asleep when she was out cold or if she got knocked out during the crash. Anyways she says the guys put the heroin and meth they had into her purse during that time and she didn't know it. Keep in mind that she says she didn't/doesn't do meth or heroin but she was with a guy that did. Riiiiiiiight! She left her purse in the car so she must have been out of it and the car got impounded. When the cops went through the car they found this stuff in her purse and that's when she got arrested.

She is saying this occurred with her old boyfriend. Now she's been with this new fiance since late October. However, on that court docket it says that the mailing of her to appear in court occurred on January 30. Would they have really waited that long, 3 months, to mail that? And wouldn't she have been arrested like the day of or after the accident and have that go into the court system? She kept reiterating to H that it wasn't hers, but that is irrelevant at this time. It's too late. So she tells him about this diversion program and how if she admits that it was hers that it won't be on her record. H is livid that she is admitting on paper that it was hers when she keeps reiterating it wasn't and how the public defender she got doesn't care. How she needs to get a lawyer, but can't afford one and I sure as hell hope H doesn't pay for one. He can't afford it either. Oh and she goes on to say that they told her she could get up to 10 years in jail for the offense so she is freaking out about that. H says that she isn't going to go to jail for 10 years on a first offense.

So my questions are:

1) Is the time frame from when this all apparently went down (occurring in October and then not having anything in the court system or getting mailed anything until January) correct?

2) Will she get jail time for a first offense if she goes to trial? Is it better for her to do the diversion program and admit it was hers and not have it on record or have a trial where she can plead not guilty and see what happens?

dave33

So more info! SD called H last night to ask about something else and then went onto the topic of her arrest. You can pretty much guess that if SD is calling she either wants something or there's some kind of drama! So this is the first he is hearing about this and he is of course upset. She is saying that when she was with her previous boyfriend that they and another guy in the car got into an accident. She claims she was sleeping in the back seat when it happened and was out cold. Not sure if she was so asleep when she was out cold or if she got knocked out during the crash. Anyways she says the guys put the heroin and meth they had into her purse during that time and she didn't know it. Keep in mind that she says she didn't/doesn't do meth or heroin but she was with a guy that did. Riiiiiiiight! She left her purse in the car so she must have been out of it and the car got impounded. When the cops went through the car they found this stuff in her purse and that's when she got arrested.

She is saying this occurred with her old boyfriend. Now she's been with this new fiance since late October. However, on that court docket it says that the mailing of her to appear in court occurred on January 30. Would they have really waited that long, 3 months, to mail that? And wouldn't she have been arrested like the day of or after the accident and have that go into the court system? She kept reiterating to H that it wasn't hers, but that is irrelevant at this time. It's too late. So she tells him about this diversion program and how if she admits that it was hers that it won't be on her record. H is livid that she is admitting on paper that it was hers when she keeps reiterating it wasn't and how the public defender she got doesn't care. How she needs to get a lawyer, but can't afford one and I sure as hell hope H doesn't pay for one. He can't afford it either. Oh and she goes on to say that they told her she could get up to 10 years in jail for the offense so she is freaking out about that. H says that she isn't going to go to jail for 10 years on a first offense.

So my questions are:

1) Is the time frame from when this all apparently went down (occurring in October and then not having anything in the court system or getting mailed anything until January) correct?

2) Will she get jail time for a first offense if she goes to trial? Is it better for her to do the diversion program and admit it was hers and not have it on record or have a trial where she can plead not guilty and see what happens?
impossible to know for sure. One thing is fairly certain and that is you probably aren't getting all the facts. Best to take a step back and let people handle their own issues.gdlck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">