• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

After reading this docket, can anyone tell me what is going on with my stepdaughter?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chickadee71

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

So I came across my stepdaughter in the WA Circuit Court base when I just randomly checked out her name as I do occasionally because I just had a feeling that I'd see her in there eventually. She's 20 and lives 3 1/2 hours away and we rarely see her or talk with her because she's got her new fiance and apartment. She would never ever tell us that she was arrested and I just know from finding her name. She has been doing a lot of drinking and pot smoking and I have a feeling this might be related to that. Just curious if anyone knows how serious this is or what it might be for? Wondering what a "Diversion Hearing" is along with why she would need supervised release and waiving a speedy trial?

Date Docket Code Docket Description
01-30-2018 INFORMATION Information
01-30-2018 MOTION Motion F/issuance Of Summons
01-30-2018 SUMMONS
ACTION Summons #1 1st Appearance (pcs)
01-31-2018 CERTIFICATE OF MAILING Certificate Of Mailing
02-27-2018 PRELIMINARY APPEARANCE Preliminary Appearance
Supervised Release ACTION #1 Arraignment 1:30 Pm
02-27-2018 ORDER APPOINTING ATTORNEY
ATD0001 Order Appointing Attorney
02-27-2018 SUPERVISED RELEASE ORDER Supervised Release Order
03-13-2018 INITIAL ARRAIGNMENT
ACTION Initial Arraignment
#1 Confirm Diversion 1:30pm
03-13-2018 MOTION HEARING Motion Hearing
03-13-2018 WAIVER OF SPEEDY TRIAL Waiver Of Speedy Trial
03-13-2018 COMMENT ENTRY Diversion Referral

Just Blue

So I came across my stepdaughter in the WA Circuit Court base when I just randomly checked out her name as I do occasionally because I just had a feeling that I'd see her in there eventually. She's 20 and lives 3 1/2 hours away and we rarely see her or talk with her because she's got her new fiance and apartment. She would never ever tell us that she was arrested and I just know from finding her name. She has been doing a lot of drinking and pot smoking and I have a feeling this might be related to that. Just curious if anyone knows how serious this is or what it might be for? Wondering what a "Diversion Hearing" is along with why she would need supervised release and waiving a speedy trial?

01-30-2018 SUMMONS
None of your business. :rolleyes:

quincy

01-30-2018 SUMMONS
First offenders are eligible for diversion programs which can keep a criminal charge from appearing on a criminal record if all terms of the program are met to the satisfaction of the court. The terms of diversion programs can vary but generally will include random drug testing, alcohol/drug education classes, a requirement to serve X number of hours of community service, program fees and fines.

The terms of the program usually must be completed during a probationary period of between six months and a year.

If the terms are not met or if the defendant reoffends, the original sentence can be imposed and a conviction will appear on the offender's criminal history. If the terms are met, the charge is discharged and dismissed and the offender will have no conviction or criminal record.

Chickadee71

First offenders are eligible for diversion programs which can keep a criminal charge from appearing on a criminal record if all terms of the program are met to the satisfaction of the court. The terms of diversion programs can vary but generally will include random drug testing, alcohol/drug education classes, a requirement to serve X number of hours of community service, program fees and fines.

The terms of the program usually must be completed during a probationary period of between six months and a year.

If the terms are not met or if the defendant reoffends, the original sentence can be imposed and a conviction will appear on the offender's criminal history. If the terms are met, the charge is discharged and dismissed and the offender will have no conviction or criminal record.
So do you think she could have had an underage DUI or something like that? Is that about the level of what this would be for?

quincy

I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with sating a stepdad's curiosity about his stepdaughter's court appearance. It would be better if Chickadee71 could ask his stepdaughter about it directly, though. :)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
To be fair, this is public information available to anybody. Anybody has the right to know about the crimes of others (generally speaking).

quincy

To be fair, this is public information available to anybody. Anybody has the right to know about the crimes of others (generally speaking).
Right. Trying to figure out what it all means can be the challenge. :)

LdiJ

So it's acceptable in this instance for a stepparent to ask questions but its not acceptable for a stepparent to ask questions in other scenarios? Come on Zig, at least be consistent.

quincy

So it's acceptable in this instance for a stepparent to ask questions but its not acceptable for a stepparent to ask questions in other scenarios? Come on Zig, at least be consistent.
I think that if someone wants to answer a question asked on this forum, regardless of who poses it, they can do so. If someone doesn't want to answer a question (for whatever reason), they shouldn't feel the need to respond.

I think that one purpose of this forum is to dispense legal information. Everyone can benefit from learning more about the law.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Acceptable to whom? Not all of us object to answering questions posed by third parties.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Acceptable to whom? Not all of us object to answering questions posed by third parties.
I kind of do it on a case-by-case basis. In the Family Law sub-forums, I tend to stick to it more than other sections.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And I tend to go case by case as well. It's up to each individual. I realize there are some who would like to think it's a hard and fast rule that all responders are required to keep to, but it's not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">