• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get a coroner's report on a closed case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whowetalkinbout

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

A friend of mine died a while back that was involved with a dirt bag motorcycle gang. I would like to lay any suspicious thoughts to rest. Can I simply gain access to his report? It was almost a year ago. The case has been closed for almost that long.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

A friend of mine died a while back that was involved with a dirt bag motorcycle gang. I would like to lay any suspicious thoughts to rest. Can I simply gain access to his report? It was almost a year ago. The case has been closed for almost that long.
You should be able to obtain a copy of the coroners report through a freedom of information (public record) request. Contact the County's Medical Examiner-Coroner's Office.

Here is a link to the First Amendment Coalition that addresses your question (2009): https://firstamendmentcoalition.org/2009/06/access-to-coroners-report/

Last edited:

whowetalkinbout

thank you for your response...but i cannot navigate to the exact place your information points me. the link has missing information, and is not clickable. i tried to find coroners report at that main page, but without success. sorry to be a pain.

whowetalkinbout

You should be able to obtain a copy of the coroners report through a freedom of information (public record) request. Contact the County's Medical Examiner-Coroner's Office.

Here is a link to the First Amendment Coalition that addresses your question (2009): https://firstamendmentcoalition.org/2009/06/access-to-coroners-report/

(i haven't figured out how to use the tools available to me on this site, apparently. so all i can do is update my status....i got there...when i reply, i get the entire raw text coded in HTML, therefor i had access to the entire link, thank you!)

quincy

I am glad you were able to figure it out. :)

You can make a request for the coroner's records from the medical examiner/coroner in the county where your friend died. Most offices have an online presence (put in your search bar the "county name, medical examiner's office").

If there is no ongoing investigation into the death of your friend, you should not have any difficulty accessing these records.

I hope what you find puts your mind at ease.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">