• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

COUNTY or STATE Prosecution ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

is there a way to post this so anyone with first hand knowledge will find it?
thank you
To get a response from a forum member, your posting here is about the best you can do. You appear to need assistance from a New York lawyer who is willing to spend the necessary time researching the matter for you, however. The link provided by Zigner is a good one to try as would be your local Bar Association.

As a note on your "county vs. state": A state will have jurisdiction over matters within that state and a county in that state will be the proper venue for the case. Are you confusing jurisdiction with venue?

Last edited:

redsaw

like i said, the Zimmerman attorney was from D.C....
anyone with knowledge of CPL section 20 is helpful

redsaw

To get a response from a forum member, your posting here is about the best you can do. You appear to need assistance from a New York lawyer who is willing to spend the necessary time researching the matter for you, however. The link provided by Zigner is a good one to try as would be your local Bar Association.

As a note on your "county vs. state": A state will have jurisdiction over matters within that state and a county in that state will be the proper venue for the case. Are you confusing jurisdiction with venue?
maybe i misunderstood the Zimmerman case (a link to it is in the original post)... but i'm pretty sure they differentiate between county and state jurisdictions... the case against Zimmerman was presented to county grand jury, and the High court said " in enacting CPL 20.40 to regulate the "jurisdiction" of counties... the statute leaves a gap; the State has jurisdiction, but no county does. "

quincy

maybe i misunderstood the Zimmerman case (a link to it is in the original post)... but i'm pretty sure they differentiate between county and state jurisdictions... the case against Zimmerman was presented to county grand jury, and the High court said " in enacting CPL 20.40 to regulate the "jurisdiction" of counties... the statute leaves a gap; the State has jurisdiction, but no county does. "
I haven't looked over the Zimmerman case. I might have a chance to do so later.

Having an idea of what you are looking for, and why, perhaps can help us help you better. I understand from your other thread that the concerns you have there are unrelated to the concerns you have here. What exactly are your concerns here?

Right now, it appears you want us to analyze New York laws and for that you will need an attorney licensed to practice in NewYork.

Last edited:

redsaw

I haven't looked over the Zimmerman case. I might have a chance to do so later.

Does this thread have anything to do with the subject of your other thread? Having an idea of what you are looking for, and why, perhaps can help us help you better.

Right now, though, it appears you need to find a New York attorney in your area to analyze state statutes and case law. That exceeds the scope of this forum.
im sorry, they are 2 unrelated matters...

redsaw

I understand that. :)

What is it about the Zimmerman case that interests you? Are you involved in a legal matter where geographical jurisdiction is an issue?
We provide digital currency services. HQ'd in PA. NY has in essence criminalized digital currency operations. If for whatever reason a NY'er accesses our site, and we get tangled up, it's important to know where we stand.

In People v Zimmerman, there is an interesting dynamic where State has jurisdiction, however, no County does... and in

People v Kassebaum there is a distinction between this state and the state, as if there is dual jurisdictions, as could be alluded to in CPL § 20.30 ... in § 20.10 it defines 'this state' as New York State... yet there is no New York State constitution. 1777 constitution created 'State of New York'... in all 5 constitutions there is absolutely no mention of New York State.. .

quincy

We provide digital currency services. HQ'd in PA. NY has in essence criminalized digital currency operations. If for whatever reason a NY'er accesses our site, and we get tangled up, it's important to know where we stand.

In People v Zimmerman, there is an interesting dynamic where State has jurisdiction, however, no County does... and in

People v Kassebaum there is a distinction between this state and the state, as if there is dual jurisdictions, as could be alluded to in CPL § 20.30 ... in § 20.10 it defines 'this state' as New York State... yet there is no New York State constitution. 1777 constitution created 'State of New York'... in all 5 constitutions there is absolutely no mention of New York State.. .
Did you post about this under a different user name? It sounds awfully familiar.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">