• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Double jeopardy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Caincain

(Colorado) My brother is in prison for violating his community corrections. He is set to be released tomorrow but the same county he was tried and convicted in has issued a warrant for his arrest on the same charge he was tried and convicted for. I spoke to the DA and he confirmed it was a mistake but he said he has to go before a judge and there is nothing he can do. Isn't this double jeopardy? Is there any legal recourse we can pursue?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You were already told - your brother needs to go in front of a judge to get this resolved. A prosecutor cannot vacate a warrant - a judge has to do that.

What don't you understand about that?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
(Colorado) My brother is in prison for violating his community corrections. He is set to be released tomorrow but the same county he was tried and convicted in has issued a warrant for his arrest on the same charge he was tried and convicted for. I spoke to the DA and he confirmed it was a mistake but he said he has to go before a judge and there is nothing he can do. Isn't this double jeopardy? Is there any legal recourse we can pursue?
It will be a violation of the double jeopardy prohibition if they try him again for the same charge. But as for this hearing, that itself won’t result in a double jeopardy issue. If the court dismisses the charges at the hearing then there is nothing more he needs to do.

quincy

For clarification: What was his violation? It would not be double jeopardy if he were jailed on his probation violation and then prosecuted for a crime he committed that violated his probation. These would be two separate offenses - the violation of probation and the offense that violated it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">