• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

EX wife lied to law enforcement, put a BOLO on me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Montana Randy

Hello,
I live in Montana. About 8 years ago, my ex wife and I were separated. When I was on a trip, she lied to the local law enforcement and told them I had stolen her laptop, which was untrue. She also convinced them that this laptop was issued to her by the FBI, which was another lie. The local PD got the county sheriff involved, and before long, a 5 state BOLO was put on me (Montana, Idaho, Washington, Wyoming and North Dakota). A neighboring county sheriff's deputy paid a visit to my brother, who lives about 35 miles from me. My brother in turn called me and told me about the BOLO. I was in Spokane at my cousin's place at the time this took place. I immediately called the sheriff's office and asked them what the deal was. After they explained, I informed them that I did not in fact have her laptop. I also told them that she didn't have an FBI issued anything, let alone a laptop. They dropped the BOLO immediately.

Nothing was ever done to my ex wife as a result of this. No charges, or anything. How can somebody lie to law enforcement like that with no consequences? I was told a long time ago, I should sue the county. No damage was done to me, other than my reputation, so I didn't think I would have a case.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello,
I live in Montana. About 8 years ago, my ex wife and I were separated. When I was on a trip, she lied to the local law enforcement and told them I had stolen her laptop, which was untrue. She also convinced them that this laptop was issued to her by the FBI, which was another lie. The local PD got the county sheriff involved, and before long, a 5 state BOLO was put on me (Montana, Idaho, Washington, Wyoming and North Dakota). A neighboring county sheriff's deputy paid a visit to my brother, who lives about 35 miles from me. My brother in turn called me and told me about the BOLO. I was in Spokane at my cousin's place at the time this took place. I immediately called the sheriff's office and asked them what the deal was. After they explained, I informed them that I did not in fact have her laptop. I also told them that she didn't have an FBI issued anything, let alone a laptop. They dropped the BOLO immediately.

Nothing was ever done to my ex wife as a result of this. No charges, or anything. How can somebody lie to law enforcement like that with no consequences? I was told a long time ago, I should sue the county. No damage was done to me, other than my reputation, so I didn't think I would have a case.
You have no case. First, there are no damages. Second, there's really no damage to your reputation. Third, it's way too late in any case.

PayrollHRGuy

You are right you have no case against the S.O.

People lie to the police everyday. If they arrested even a small percentage the police would do nothing else.

Just Blue

Hello,

You are still stewing about this??! Move on already...

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
I was told a long time ago, I should sue the county. No damage was done to me, other than my reputation, so I didn't think I would have a case.
Why would you sue the county? They did nothing wrong. At all. They followed up on a complaint. Your ex is the one to blame, not law enforcement.

quincy

Hello,

Your ex could have been charged with filing a false police report but (apparently) wasn't. Usually false reports will not result in criminal charges unless there has been a large expenditure of funds by law enforcement (think: balloon boy story, faked kidnappings).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">