+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1

    Felon caught another charge

    How much time do you usually get if your a felon carrying loaded firearm


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    71,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Txlilmam46 View Post
    How much time do you usually get if your a felon carrying loaded firearm
    Hopefully tons.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,187
    Varies by state.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    29,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Txlilmam46 View Post
    How much time do you usually get if your a felon carrying loaded firearm
    Are you in the US? If so, what state? Texas, perhaps?


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    726
    Quote Originally Posted by Txlilmam46 View Post
    How much time do you usually get if your a felon carrying loaded firearm
    It depends on the details of the felons prior criminal history, whether the felon is charged under federal or state law, and if it is state law, which state. The felon is certainly looking at some time in prison for this. I'm always amazed that felons value their freedom so little that they go out and do stuff like this and earn themselves another trip back to prison.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    29,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxing Matters View Post
    It depends on the details of the felons prior criminal history, whether the felon is charged under federal or state law, and if it is state law, which state. The felon is certainly looking at some time in prison for this. I'm always amazed that felons value their freedom so little that they go out and do stuff like this and earn themselves another trip back to prison.
    I am no longer amazed by the inability of some felons to keep from reoffending. The "freedom" felons have when they are released from prison is limited.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    726
    Quote Originally Posted by quincy View Post
    I am no longer amazed by the inability of some felons to keep from reoffending. The "freedom" felons have when they are released from prison is limited.
    Even if they are on parole or other supervision after release, they are still much more free than they are in prison. When I worked for the federal government I sometimes had to interview persons in prisons. They can be extremely unpleasant, even violent places in which to live and observing the conditions in them made me very glad to get of there as soon as possible. And I was just a visitor for a few hours. I could leave when I wanted. I cannot imagine many would truly prefer prison over parole, despite the restrictions and conditions that parole involves.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    76,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxing Matters View Post
    Even if they are on parole or other supervision after release, they are still much more free than they are in prison. When I worked for the federal government I sometimes had to interview persons in prisons. They can be extremely unpleasant, even violent places in which to live and observing the conditions in them made me very glad to get of there as soon as possible. And I was just a visitor for a few hours. I could leave when I wanted. I cannot imagine many would truly prefer prison over parole, despite the restrictions and conditions that parole involves.
    I have read about a tiny amount of people who just cannot handle living in the outside world and reoffend on purpose to get sent back. I have a hard time understanding that but in prison you do get food, medical attention and a place to sleep. Some people who are released cannot get the same in the outside world.


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    29,232
    Quote Originally Posted by LdiJ View Post
    I have read about a tiny amount of people who just cannot handle living in the outside world and reoffend on purpose to get sent back. I have a hard time understanding that but in prison you do get food, medical attention and a place to sleep. Some people who are released cannot get the same in the outside world.
    Exactly. Trying to acclimate oneself to life outside prison is not easy for any felon but impossible for some. It can be difficult for a felon to find employment or housing or even an education.

    I worked briefly with a prisoners' rights group when in school. It was hard to feel sympathy for some of the prisoners I met - many were just very unlikeable people - but the conditions they were forced by their crimes to live under in prison were horrible. It was sad to see that the conditions were not much better for them out of prison.

    So, freedom can be relative.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    87
    An interesting phrase, "caught another charge", as if it's some sort of random event as opposed to what it is, committing another crime.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    29,232
    Quote Originally Posted by westside View Post
    An interesting phrase, "caught another charge", as if it's some sort of random event as opposed to what it is, committing another crime.
    It is a common phrase used in some areas of the country - specifically Texas.


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    guess ;)
    Posts
    30,517
    Quote Originally Posted by westside View Post
    An interesting phrase, "caught another charge", as if it's some sort of random event as opposed to what it is, committing another crime.
    lol...I agree!! The other interesting phrase is "I fell pregnant" ...Like you're just minding your own business then tripped and fell on a penis.


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    29,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Meanie View Post
    lol...I agree!! The other interesting phrase is "I fell pregnant" ...Like you're just minding your own business then tripped and fell on a penis.
    Haha. That's another common phrase in some parts of the country (probably also Texas).

    These are handy phrases to use if you want to deflect blame onto others - not that anyone is fooled.


  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    76,812
    Quote Originally Posted by quincy View Post
    Haha. That's another common phrase in some parts of the country (probably also Texas).

    These are handy phrases to use if you want to deflect blame onto others - not that anyone is fooled.
    They really are not an attempt to deflect blame in some areas, they are just the idiom or patois of the area. I have seen happily married women use the phrase, "I fell pregnant". The classic American English that we hear on TV is not necessarily "native" to any one state. My Chicago cousins almost seem to speak a different language than my Kentucky and Georgia cousins.


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    29,232
    Quote Originally Posted by LdiJ View Post
    They really are not an attempt to deflect blame in some areas, they are just the idiom or patois of the area. I have seen happily married women use the phrase, "I fell pregnant". The classic American English that we hear on TV is not necessarily "native" to any one state. My Chicago cousins almost seem to speak a different language than my Kentucky and Georgia cousins.
    I know. They just sound like they are.


+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Getting caught with a gun/lost gun rights but not felon?
    By firsttimeevery3 in forum Arrests, Searches, Warrants & Procedure
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-13-2017, 01:46 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-26-2007, 12:17 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-09-2007, 11:51 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-02-2005, 12:58 PM
  5. Can cop charge with driving on suspended if i was not caught in the act?
    By reinqd in forum Other Crimes – Federal and State
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-11-2003, 04:14 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© Since 1995 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.