• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fines

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

one4life1982

I got a friend that is in jail got picked up for a capis warrant which is he didn't pay his fines . He has been in jail nine day and his fines total 750 well I called and ask if I could pay the remaining balance owed they told me no I would have to pay the whole balance of the fines does that mean he isn't getting money taking off fines the nine days he has set already ??

Just Blue

I got a friend that is in jail got picked up for a capis warrant which is he didn't pay his fines . He has been in jail nine day and his fines total 750 well I called and ask if I could pay the remaining balance owed they told me no I would have to pay the whole balance of the fines does that mean he isn't getting money taking off fines the nine days he has set already ??
U.S. Law Only.

quincy

In what state do you and your friend reside, one4life?

I am not sure what you are asking. Are you wondering why your friend is not being compensated for (or credited for) the time he is spending in jail?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
U.S. Law Only.
I’m not sure how you concluded the OP was not in the U.S. There are, in fact, capias warrants (the OP likely misspelled it) in the US after all. Capias is a Latin term for a form of writ directing an officer to take the named person into custody. There were historically a number of types of these writs, some of which have fallen out of use. But a capias writ or warrant to take a defendant who has failed to pay a fine into custody still exists in at least some states. More formally these were known as a writ capias pro fine.

Last edited:

quincy

I’m not sure how you concluded the OP was not in the U.S. There are, in fact, capias warrants (the OP likely misspelled it) in the US after all. Capias is a Latin term for a form of writ directing an officer to take the named person into custody. There were historically a number of types of these writs, some of which have fallen out of use. But a capias writ or warrant to take a defendant who has failed to pay a fine into custody still exists in at least some states. More formally these were known as a writ capias pro fine.
Blue (and others on the forum) often say "US Law Only" instead of asking the poster for the name of his/her state. Because I think that can confuse a poster, I generally ask for the name of the state. It is just a matter of preference, though, when trying to get the poster to supply a state name.

The reason for the issuance of the capias warrant is important as is the name of the state (and, for me at least, a question clarification).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">