• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I missed my hearing for train ticket received in brooklyn, I lost my ticket as well

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shota_22

Location - New York

I received a ticket in NYC subway in brooklyn, which stated that I was supposed to go to a court in a certain date, which I have missed because I was away to another country on that date, I also lost my ticket. I need to know which court would it be for a train ticket received in Brooklyn? and also what do I need to go or how can I clear my name from it? I have been to the criminal court on manhattan, in brooklyn as well but they could not find my name in their databases, but there certainly is a arrest warrant for my arrest because officer at the airport told me so, but he released me to take care of this.
also, what is the best way to deal with this? what would it cost me to hire a lawyer to take care of this? or if not where can I go by myself so they can find the information about my case, so I may explain myself and ask for rescheduling, because the reason was that I was out of the country. thanks for your answer.

Just Blue

Location - New York

I received a ticket in NYC subway in brooklyn, which stated that I was supposed to go to a court in a certain date, which I have missed because I was away to another country on that date, I also lost my ticket. I need to know which court would it be for a train ticket received in Brooklyn? and also what do I need to go or how can I clear my name from it? I have been to the criminal court on manhattan, in brooklyn as well but they could not find my name in their databases, but there certainly is a arrest warrant for my arrest because officer at the airport told me so, but he released me to take care of this.
also, what is the best way to deal with this? what would it cost me to hire a lawyer to take care of this? or if not where can I go by myself so they can find the information about my case, so I may explain myself and ask for rescheduling, because the reason was that I was out of the country. thanks for your answer.
Assuming you were not kidnapped and take out of country you would have know that you would be gone on the date of court. Why didn't you notify them and see about having the date changed?:confused:

shota_22

Assuming you were not kidnapped and take out of country you would have know that you would be gone on the date of court. Why didn't you notify them and see about having the date changed?:confused:
I know but I had already bought the flight ticket, because I had to be there and flight was two days away, I was supposed to come back before the hearing but I just could not manage to.

what am I supposed to do now? will I have to hire a lawyer for sure and if so how much is he going to charge me? or if not where can I go to explain my situation and try to reschedule it?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I did not pay $2.75 in a subway.
the officer wrote me a hearing ticket, I was supposed to go to a hearing, but I could not as I was in another country.
That is not going to count as a valid excuse.

It is too bad that you lost your hearing ticket, and apparently didn't read it before losing it.

shota_22

That is not going to count as a valid excuse.

It is too bad that you lost your hearing ticket, and apparently didn't read it before losing it.
what is there to do?
can you advice me with smth specific that I can do?
I was not trying to run away, or anything, it just happened like that for me.

PayrollHRGuy

It looks like you are able to pay the fine along with a $25 penalty plus interest. You can do this online here http://web.mta.info/nyct/rules/TransitAdjudicationBureau/PayOnline.html

Failure to appear within the 30 days, either in person or by mail, will result in a forfeiture of your right to contest the violation and a default judgment will be entered against you. Furthermore, a penalty of $25 will be added to the amount of the fine. In the event that you do not pay the fine and penalty within 30 days after receiving the penalty, an additional $25 penalty will be assessed and interest will accrue at a rate of 9% per annum.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You need to contact the Transit Adjudication Bureau to resolve this. No warrant has been issued for your arrest, nor will one be.

shota_22

You need to contact the Transit Adjudication Bureau to resolve this. No warrant has been issued for your arrest, nor will one be.
but if I was summoned, would not that be a criminal court? or can Transit Adjudication Bureau summon people as well?
thank you for your reply!
I was at the police station and asked them - they could not find anything under my name, in other words there is no real warrant for my arrest, only airport officers can see it no one else. does that mean that if police can't see anything on my record, its not gonna show up in any background check? Im doing tlc license and I dont want it to show up there ..

shota_22

transit adjutication beaurau does not have any record on me, so does not any other places I was in, including court on manhattan and brooklyn, also OATH.. I just dont what is going on, police said they can' find anything on my ID as well

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
but if I was summoned, would not that be a criminal court? or can Transit Adjudication Bureau summon people as well?
thank you for your reply!
This is pointless - you don't even know what kind of ticket you received. We can't help you any further.

Im doing tlc license and I dont want it to show up there ..
Just what the city needs - another clueless TLC driver.

shota_22

dont worry about that, that was 2 yeara ago, whatever happened, I was not even 21 back than :D if its not a criminal court, I'll hire a lawyer and hopefully take care of it easily, there will be a way to figure it out. and will never make that mistake again

quincy

dont worry about that, that was 2 yeara ago, whatever happened, I was not even 21 back than :D if its not a criminal court, I'll hire a lawyer and hopefully take care of it easily, there will be a way to figure it out. and will never make that mistake again
Hiring a lawyer would not hurt if that is what you feel is needed to get your ticket paid. What I wouldn't do, however, is wait another two years to take care of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">