• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about West Virginia mask law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lionel Fauquier

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? West Virginia

So I might be playing a gig in West Virginia in the not so distant future and my frontman costume includes a mask . West Virginia has a general anti mask statute , however an exception is made in the case of theatrical productions .

Does playing a concert count as a theatrical production ?

quincy

So I might be playing a gig in West Virginia in the not so distant future and my frontman costume includes a mask . West Virginia has a general anti mask statute , however an exception is made in the case of theatrical productions .

You can wear a mask onstage as part of your persona.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I agree with that. The purpose of these mask laws (DC also has such a law, as do other places) is to deter criminal activity and make finding criminals easier by preventing the perpetrators from hiding their face and thus their identity. The law cannot be applied in a way that interferes with legitimate free speech, including musical performances in which costumes/masks are part of the show.

quincy

I agree with that. The purpose of these mask laws (DC also has such a law, as do other places) is to deter criminal activity and make finding criminals easier by preventing the perpetrators from hiding their face and thus their identity. The law cannot be applied in a way that interferes with legitimate free speech, including musical performances in which costumes/masks are part of the show.
I would be happy if the laws just worked to prevent clown masks.

The only person my otherwise very friendly dog ever bit was a clown. The clown approached my family from the rear and suddenly reached down to pet our dog. I almost bit the clown myself. :)

quincy

I don't think the clown industry has every recovered from Stephen King.
Stephen King certainly did nothing to reduce the fear of clowns in many. :)

My own kids are more afraid of mall Santas and Easter bunnies than they are of clowns, though - possibly because they haven't been plopped for photos on the laps of clowns.

Just Blue

Is your purpose in life to upset law enforcement? Seems with the creepy smokes in dark places and now the masks...You kinda want to get arrested.

quincy

Creepy smokes?

Lionel is the one who wanted to know what his rights are if he is stopped by the police.

His rights won't protect him from being arrested and charged if he wears his mask on the streets of West Virginia. ;)

Last edited:

Just Blue

Creepy smokes?

Lionel is the one who wanted to know what his rights are if he is stopped by the police.

His rights won't prevent him from being arrested and charged if he wears his mask on the streets of West Virginia. ;)
OP has a habit of smoking in "secluded areas"...Per the other thread.

Lionel Fauquier

I honestly mean no offense , but some people should really think before jumping to conclusions . I mean I don't want to get all political here , but the past 4 years or so have seen the occurrence of several incidents where people have gotten pretty badly jammed up as a result of routine questioning/detaining on the part of LEO's .

For what it's worth I don't plan on wearing a mask on the street or anything like that . I assumed the context of my post would have made that abundantly clear , however for the sake of non ambiguity , I will state here for the record that I only intend on wearing a mask during a theatrical production . Also I hope the fellow who used the term " creepy smokes " was being a tad facetious , but I only smoke tobacco cigarettes .

Lionel Fauquier

Thanks for the answers man . I don't want to point the finger at anyone here , but do you know of any legal advice forums on the Net where posters tend to be a bit more chill ? I mean I was thinking about creating a thread concerning being hauled in for questioning after being detained , but now I'm rather leery of doing so , lest I face the accusation of being a " cop baiting troll " again .

PayrollHRGuy

Not any worth your time. If you come into any such site that is worth your time and post at least two questions that are pretty much about cop baiting and don't accept the answers that your receive right up front you can expect the same sorts of responses.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks for the answers man . I don't want to point the finger at anyone here , but do you know of any legal advice forums on the Net where posters tend to be a bit more chill ? I mean I was thinking about creating a thread concerning being hauled in for questioning after being detained , but now I'm rather leery of doing so , lest I face the accusation of being a " cop baiting troll " again .
You had ANOTHER issue to discuss?
I believe that you may want to reconsider your choices in life that are leading you to these difficulties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">