• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reporting to Police when Unsure whether you are the Victim of a Crime

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anonymous2

My question is, if you are not sure if you were the victim of a crime, can you still go to the police, and what should you say-- "I'm not sure if I've been a victim of a crime?"

Is it better to call them, or just show up?

I may have been the victim of a crime, certainly nefarious activity. I will not be discussing the details here, so please respect my wish for anonymity and privacy.

PayrollHRGuy

You have another thread. You have been told to contact the police if you feel you are the victim of a crime. It matters not if you call the police or show up at the station.

You do realize that you will have to tell the police the details of the crime and it will at some point be public record.

quincy

My question is, if you are not sure if you were the victim of a crime, can you still go to the police, and what should you say-- "I'm not sure if I've been a victim of a crime?"

Is it better to call them, or just show up?

I may have been the victim of a crime, certainly nefarious activity. I will not be discussing the details here, so please respect my wish for anonymity and privacy.
What is the name of your state?

The state name is requested of everyone and states have large populations. You will not be identifiable from that information alone.

You can report your suspicions to the police. There is a qualified privilege that attaches to reports made to the police, which means that a report is immune from suit unless it can be shown the report was made with actual malice (knowledge of falsity, intent to cause harm).

Crime reports are not considered true or false. An investigation determines the likelihood of truth or falsity, with charges possibly resulting from the investigation.

You should speak to an attorney in your area if you want information to remain confidential.

Good luck.

(PayrollHRGuy, this appears to be a different "anonymous")

Last edited:

xylene

You should consider hiring your own attorney to help you report this issue and have it be taken seriously.

Quite honestly I would expect to not be taken seriously unless you had an advocate with you, because you have sounded very paranoid. Police will discount a paranoid person as symptoms of a mental health crisis and may even compel you into acute treatment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">