• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right to speedy trial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Skibum69

What is the name of your state?Washington State
I was arrested in King County for a gross misdemeanor. I am out on bail. My lawyer told me it could be up to 2 years for the arraignment because the courts are all backed up. This seems like an unjust way to circumvent the "speedy trial" rule. Because of my line of work, I am out of a job if convicted. It doesn't seem fair I will have to wait so long to defend my good name.

racer72

Backed up court calendars are a common and legal reason to waive a speedy trial. Keep your nose clean and don't be surprised if the charges are dropped when you do get a court date. You ruined your "good name" when you were busted.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Skibum69 said:
What is the name of your state?Washington State
I was arrested in King County for a gross misdemeanor. I am out on bail. My lawyer told me it could be up to 2 years for the arraignment because the courts are all backed up. This seems like an unjust way to circumvent the "speedy trial" rule. Because of my line of work, I am out of a job if convicted. It doesn't seem fair I will have to wait so long to defend my good name.

My response:

You're absolutely, 100%, correct. You need to go to jail as quickly as possible. I'm in total agreement with you. You should have your trial, and be convicted as quickly as possible - - or faster!

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">