Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    9

    Is it taboo to ask hypothetical questions on forums like this ?

    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania/West Virginia


    I just realized that my previous two questions may have been better asked from an attorney or on a more generalist forum . But for the sake of future reference , is it a breach of online legal forum ethics to ask questions about hypothetical scenarios pertaining to issues covered by this sub forum ?


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    heading to Vegas Baby!!
    Posts
    31,071
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania/West Virginia


    I just realized that my previous two questions may have been better asked from an attorney or on a more generalist forum . But for the sake of future reference , is it a breach of online legal forum ethics to ask questions about hypothetical scenarios pertaining to issues covered by this sub forum ?
    Yes. In general this site does not like hypothetical questions.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    30,163
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania/West Virginia


    I just realized that my previous two questions may have been better asked from an attorney or on a more generalist forum . But for the sake of future reference , is it a breach of online legal forum ethics to ask questions about hypothetical scenarios pertaining to issues covered by this sub forum ?
    This forum is designed to help people with their current real-life legal issues.

    Hypothetical questions, homework questions, and questions by writers about the stories they are writing are rarely entertained by forum members. There are other websites on the internet where questions of that sort can be addressed and discussed.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    heading to Vegas Baby!!
    Posts
    31,071
    Quote Originally Posted by quincy View Post
    This forum is designed to help people with their current real-life legal issues.

    Hypothetical questions, homework questions, and questions by writers about the stories they are writing are rarely entertained by forum members. There are other websites on the internet where questions of that sort can be addressed and discussed.
    It's kinda been made more than clear to OP this is how THIS site works. IMO.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    30,163
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambi01 View Post
    It's kinda been made more than clear to OP this is how THIS site works. IMO.
    You're right. Lionel has been told this before.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    heading to Vegas Baby!!
    Posts
    31,071
    Quote Originally Posted by quincy View Post
    You're right. Lionel has been told this before.
    Damn! I get a check mark for being right!! Yeah me!!


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    959
    Quote Originally Posted by quincy View Post
    This forum is designed to help people with their current real-life legal issues.

    Hypothetical questions, homework questions, and questions by writers about the stories they are writing are rarely entertained by forum members. There are other websites on the internet where questions of that sort can be addressed and discussed.
    With that said, I personally have no particular problem with hypothetical questions so long as the author of the post makes it clear that the post is hypothetical at the start. Then people can decide whether to reply or not. But I don't make the board rules, so itís not up to me what gets posted here.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    heading to Vegas Baby!!
    Posts
    31,071
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxing Matters View Post
    With that said, I personally have no particular problem with hypothetical questions so long as the author of the post makes it clear that the post is hypothetical at the start. Then people can decide whether to reply or not. But I don't make the board rules, so itís not up to me what gets posted here.
    Years ago there was a series of questions that were absurd as a result most of us determined that hypothetical questions were a WOT. It's not a "rule".


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    30,163
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxing Matters View Post
    With that said, I personally have no particular problem with hypothetical questions so long as the author of the post makes it clear that the post is hypothetical at the start. Then people can decide whether to reply or not. But I don't make the board rules, so it’s not up to me what gets posted here.
    Hypothetical questions generally do not bother me all that much. The answers to even hypothetical questions can be educational. And if people want to help writers with their novels, I personally see no harm in that. But I won't answer obvious homework questions because teachers are testing their students' knowledge not our knowledge.

    Many of the rules on this forum are unwritten rules, though. I don't know who decided these rules should govern members or posters, or why adherence to these unwritten rules is so important to some.

    That said, questions about laws in other countries should not be answered because this forum is specifically for US law questions only. That's a written rule. Legal terminology and interpretations of laws differ significantly from country to country. Providing incorrect information to foreign visitors benefits no one.

    But I certainly don't fault visitors for coming to this forum seeking answers to their legal questions, whatever the question. We can politely and competently provide an appropriate answer or we can politely decline to answer.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,649
    Hypothetical questions don't bother me in general. The problems with them in general is there isn't even close to a complete fact set associated with them.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    30,163
    Quote Originally Posted by PayrollHRGuy View Post
    Hypothetical questions don't bother me in general. The problems with them in general is there isn't even close to a complete fact set associated with them.
    Right. Without set facts, hypothetical questions can veer off into too many different directions and can become the absurdities that Bambi spoke of. It really depends on the question, the poster who is asking it, and how well those answering the question can keep the answers on a sane path.

    But this forum is really not a discussion forum. Hypothetical questions can find a better home on other websites.


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    38,320
    I object to hypothetical questions, for the reason stated above. If the circumstances are such that the poster has a very specific set of facts that is likely to occur, I may make a stab at it but only with the qualification that should the facts change, so does the answer. I have no objection, for reasons that should be obvious to anyone who knows me, to helping writers with their stories. I will not knowingly answer homework questions under any circumstances - I will not even tell someone seeking help with their homework where to look. If they can't find that much on their own, they deserve whatever flunking grade they get.


    Two things I am tired of typing: 1.) A wrongful termination does not mean that you were fired for something you didn't do; it means that you were fired for a reason prohibited by law. 2.) The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding contract or CBA expressly says otherwise. If it does, the terms of the contract apply.
  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    77,331
    Quote Originally Posted by cbg View Post
    I object to hypothetical questions, for the reason stated above. If the circumstances are such that the poster has a very specific set of facts that is likely to occur, I may make a stab at it but only with the qualification that should the facts change, so does the answer. I have no objection, for reasons that should be obvious to anyone who knows me, to helping writers with their stories. I will not knowingly answer homework questions under any circumstances - I will not even tell someone seeking help with their homework where to look. If they can't find that much on their own, they deserve whatever flunking grade they get.
    I agree with you, but sometimes I might give someone a nudge in the right direction. If someone doesn't know the subject enough to use the right keywords, research can be difficult.


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    38,320
    That's what they're in school to learn. No one else in the class is getting a message board to tell them where to look - they're figuring it out for themselves. Which is what's supposed to happen. How are they going to learn if we spoon feed them the answers?


    Two things I am tired of typing: 1.) A wrongful termination does not mean that you were fired for something you didn't do; it means that you were fired for a reason prohibited by law. 2.) The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding contract or CBA expressly says otherwise. If it does, the terms of the contract apply.
  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    72,195
    I don't like hypotheticals because the "facts" always seem to morph with every response as the OP tries to get the answer he/she wants to hear.


Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. List of Hypothetical Questions about Digital Artwork
    By inquisitorx75 in forum Copyrights & Trademarks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-08-2018, 06:41 AM
  2. Hypothetical questions
    By bozzy1030 in forum Child Custody & Visitation
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-28-2008, 12:00 PM
  3. Forums and copyrights (forums like this!) and more Qs!
    By HerculesMO in forum Copyrights & Trademarks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-24-2006, 11:34 PM
  4. Marijuana forums questions?????? Please help..
    By jorge923 in forum Computers / Software & Internet Law
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-11-2003, 12:01 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© Since 1995 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.