• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warrant for a traffic ticket from 22 years ago

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

negr0bell0

I have been living in Florida for close to 22 years and the ticket I found out is from 1996.

I went to the FL DMV to renew my license and was told that I had a suspension in New Jersey that I need to take care of before I can renew my FL driver's license. I called the township where this occurred and was told I have two options: 1) Post bail for $136 and that will kickoff a court appearance and 2) Waive the bail, pay the $136 and wait for the judges final judgment.

I obviously can't do number 1 as I am in FL and it will be cheaper to pay the $136 but I don't know the consequences of selecting that option. I am leaning towards option #2 which means I am admitting guilt. I am just concerned that I am not sure if the $136 is all that I will be paying or is there potentially more expenses coming my way via the judges judgment. I asked the people at the court and they could not tell me or hint as to what else the judge could do. I understand not giving advice but at least give me a clue as to what I can expect. NO LUCK!

Can anyone shed light on this situation? By the way, in the last 22 years, I was never contacted by the State of New Jersey about this ticket, request for a court appearance or the outstanding warrant. All of this was news to me. Thanks in advance for any feedback, suggestions or recommendations on this situation.

Last edited:

quincy

I have been living in Florida for close to 22 years and the ticket I found out is from 1996.

I went to the FL DMV to renew my license and was told that I had a suspension in New Jersey that I need to take care of before I can renew my FL driver's license. I called the township where this occurred and was told I have two options: 1) Post bail for $136 and that will kickoff a court appearance and 2) Waive the bail, pay the $136 and wait for the judges final judgment.

I obviously can't do number 1 as I am in FL and it will be cheaper to pay the $136 but I don't know the consequences of selecting that option. I am leaning towards option #2 which means I am admitting guilt. I am just concerned that I am not sure if the $136 is all that I will be paying or is there potentially more expenses coming my way via the judges judgment. I asked the people at the court and they could not tell me or hint as to what else the judge could do. I understand not giving advice but at least give me a clue as to what I can expect. NO LUCK!

Can anyone shed light on this situation? By the way, in the last 22 years, I was never contacted by the State of New Jersey about this ticket, request for a court appearance or the outstanding warrant. All of this was news to me. Thanks in advance for any feedback, suggestions or recommendations on this situation.
You never had any problem renewing your license in Florida previously?

You were aware of violating a law in New Jersey that led to the license suspension?

It is, of course, easiest to pay the fine and accumulated costs to lift the suspension. Whether you should do this or not depends in large part on what led to the suspension.

negr0bell0

You never had any problem renewing your license in Florida previously?

You were aware of violating a law in New Jersey that led to the license suspension?

It is, of course, easiest to pay the fine and accumulated costs to lift the suspension. Whether you should do this or not depends in large part on what led to the suspension.
- I have never had any issues renewing my license until now that I has trying to renew it as it is expiring. I have been there for any number of reasons and was never alerted of this.
- No, I wasn't aware or I don't remember getting a ticket in New Jersey around 1996. It is for not paying this ticket and eventually being summoned to appear in court that caused the suspension. In the 22 years it is not like I was in hiding, so I am scratching my head as to why they never contacted me about this.
- The reason for suspension is not paying the ticket and now showing up to court (both I was unaware of).

Thanks!

quincy

- I have never had any issues renewing my license until now that I has trying to renew it as it is expiring. I have been there for any number of reasons and was never alerted of this.
- No, I wasn't aware or I don't remember getting a ticket in New Jersey around 1996. It is for not paying this ticket and eventually being summoned to appear in court that caused the suspension. In the 22 years it is not like I was in hiding, so I am scratching my head as to why they never contacted me about this.
- The reason for suspension is not paying the ticket and now showing up to court (both I was unaware of).

Thanks!
For what offense was the ticket said to be issued?

negr0bell0

For what offense was the ticket said to be issued?
I don't have a copy of it but the person on the phone said that it was a moving violation (changing lanes without signaling). It's been a while and it is very possible I was pulled over for that but I honestly don't remember. Thanks!

quincy

I don't have a copy of it but the person on the phone said that it was a moving violation (changing lanes without signaling). It's been a while and it is very possible I was pulled over for that but I honestly don't remember. Thanks!
Twenty-two years is a long time. :)

You might find you need an attorney in New Jersey to handle the traffic violation fine, the failure-to-appear warrant and the license suspension for you.

It is possible (I don't know how probable) that the ticket and FTA costs can be reduced or dismissed and that your license can be restored without issue. Generally you need to personally appear in court to address the warrant and outstanding fines and fees.

Perhaps you should call some attorneys in the New Jersey area where your ticket was issued to get estimates on what they charge.

Good luck.

LdiJ

Twenty-two years is a long time. :)

You might find you need an attorney in New Jersey to handle the traffic violation fine, the failure-to-appear warrant and the license suspension for you.

It is possible (I don't know how probable) that the ticket and FTA costs can be reduced or dismissed and that your license can be restored without issue. Generally you need to personally appear in court to address the warrant and outstanding fines and fees.

Perhaps you should call some attorneys in the New Jersey area where your ticket was issued to get estimates on what they charge.

Good luck.
I did not get the impression that there was an FTA associated with this. I would think that if there was an FTA involved that the OP would have been told that more than just paying a $136.00 fine and waiting for a judge's decision would be involved. I would have thought that he would have been told that he needed to appear in court.

The OP doesn't remember being pulled over. This very well may be a case of mistaken identity, but in the long run, it might be cheaper to just pay the $136.00 and see what happens. That is not my preferred way of handling things if I do not believe that its my debt/liability but it might be the easier way to resolve things.

quincy

I did not get the impression that there was an FTA associated with this. I would think that if there was an FTA involved that the OP would have been told that more than just paying a $136.00 fine and waiting for a judge's decision would be involved. I would have thought that he would have been told that he needed to appear in court.

The OP doesn't remember being pulled over. This very well may be a case of mistaken identity, but in the long run, it might be cheaper to just pay the $136.00 and see what happens. That is not my preferred way of handling things if I do not believe that its my debt/liability but it might be the easier way to resolve things.
Please read the thread again. Try to understand what is written. Thanks.

negr0bell0

Please read the thread again. Try to understand what is written. Thanks.
Hi Quincy, I am trying to make sense of your reply. Do you disagree with LdiJ or you think he is missing something? I need to understand too as I am about to contact the State of New Jersey again because I don't think I have enough information to make a good decision based on what they have told me so far. Thanks in advance.

quincy

LdiJ missed what I have bolded above. My post was merely to tell her to read your post again so she could see where you mention the warrant.

You can reread my post for my recommendation.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">