• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

14 yr old injury claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wreaked2018

i carried insurance, other driver cited DUI, no liscense, no insurance. headon collision resulting in permanent damage/disfigurement, was told to contact back when injury was healed, so 14yrs later contacted to close claim but told it was closed.
i have multiple injurys steming from original over course of 14yrs. what to do ? was never notified, offered settlement by my insurance

PayrollHRGuy

What state are you in?

And who told you to contact back when your "permanent damage/disfigurement" was healed? And why did you listen to them?

wreaked2018

is it too late

alaska
the claim adjuster at my insurance company.
i was told until there was better idea of extent of injury or it became apparent it was permenant there was no way of settling. ive only recently become aware of the lasting effects of original injury

PayrollHRGuy

I have some bad news for you. You can't sue the other driver at this point the Statute of Limitations was only 6 years.

As far as your own insurance company. You'll want to talk to a lawyer. But I wouldn't hold much hope.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
i carried insurance, other driver cited DUI, no liscense, no insurance. headon collision resulting in permanent damage/disfigurement, was told to contact back when injury was healed, so 14yrs later contacted to close claim but told it was closed.
i have multiple injurys steming from original over course of 14yrs. what to do ? was never notified, offered settlement by my insurance
Presumably your insurance company paid you whatever you were owed under the policy you had with the insurance company. That is all your insurance company is obligated to do. If you did not keep the insurance company updated on your medical bills, etc., then that’s on you. You could have sued the other driver too, but you had to do that within 6 years of the accident. While it’s good to wait a few months to a year to see what immediate medical improvement you can get, beyond that the treatment of more lasting injuries is not a reason to delay pursuing your legal claim because of the limited time in which you have to do it. If your insurance sued the other driver to recover what it paid out to you, that’s not anything that directly benefits you. You would have needed to file the lawsuit yourself to have any chance to get more than what your insurance company paid you, and it’s unfortunately too late for that now 14 years later. You may want to consult a civil litigation attorney in that state to see if there is any kind of recourse for you now. Most attorneys will give you a free initial consultation on that. Just understand going into that discussion that it is very unlikely that you can do anything at this point.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">