• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident at a 5 way traffic light

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dbrinkley

What is the name of your state? TX

An elderly gentleman ran a red light while I was attempting to make a right turn after receiving the green light on my side of the intersection. I hit this gentleman's car. I am trying to determine whose at fault. If I hit someone, even though the accident was unavoidable, am I automatically at fault? Can anyone help?

JETX

An elderly gentleman ran a red light while I was attempting to make a right turn after receiving the green light on my side of the intersection. I hit this gentleman's car. I am trying to determine whose at fault. If I hit someone, even though the accident was unavoidable, am I automatically at fault? Can anyone help?
Yep. Clearly, based on your post, it was not your fault. The fault lies with the traffic planner who created a "5 way traffic light".

Of course, my opinion, nor anyone elses on this forum, means a damn thing in determining whether you are at fault or not. That determination will be made by the insurance companys involved... and the court if needed.

ecmst12

No, you are not automatically at fault if you hit someone, unless you rear-end them (and even then there are rare cases where you wouldn't be). If you had the right of way and he was running a red light, he was probably at fault. Were the police called? Was anyone cited?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">