• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident caused by another car whom I did not hit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

eweiss

Hello,
I was recently in a car accident when a wheel fell off of a car near my own. That car then hit another car. I swerved around the accident and ran into a divider. My insurance company then sent my car to a shop and it was repaired. However, I have now been quoted a comically large insurance rate for renewal. There is no way that the accident was my fault, but it appears that because I didn't hit the other cars involved, my insurance had to cover it and now I have to pay for it with a rate hike. Is this reasonable? I live in Ca, if that matters. If not (which I am hoping), what can I do about it?

Thanks for any advice!
Eric

racer72

Shop around for a different insurance company. And that may not help. If you were driving in a legal and lawful manner, you would have allowed yourself room to manuver around the accident or stop in time. Unfortunately, 99.9% of the drivers on the road do not. Our following distances are too close and we drive too fast. And of course, driving like that is going to bite some of us when we least expect it. You were labeled as at fault for your part in the accident now you get to pay.

S

sdstrooper

Seems about right. Look at it this way, at least you didn't get a "Failure to control speed" ticket. Consider paying attention next time you take a defensive driving class.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">