• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California red light ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Laniogorman

I’m pretty sure a red camera light flashed me on 1/25/18 but I have yet to receive a ticket in the mail. I know the dmv/courthouse has my correct address on file because I received a courtesy notice for a different ticket just a couple months previous. Does this ticket apply for the 15 day violation rule? If so, what is that process like and how likely am I to get out of the ticket?

FlyingRon

Well, did you run the red light? The camera flashing doesn't necessarily mean a violation. It has to flash on close calls (it needs to show you behind the line on the red and then also ahead of it). Yes, they only have 15 days to deliver the ticket to the owner of the car.

Laniogorman

I don’t know for sure, it was a close call so I want to be prepared if the ticket shows up in the mail one of these days.

Would I plead not guilty then do a written submission instead of a court date?

FlyingRon

Would I plead not guilty then do a written submission instead of a court date?
A lot depends on who issues the ticket. In some cases, there's not much repercussion in ignoring it. In others, your options are the same as with any moving violation:

1. Pay the ticket and admit guilt.
2. Pay an amount equal to the ticket, request and file a TBWD, lose and have the bail forfeited.
3. Go to court and ask for traffic school if you've not done it for a violation in the preceding 18 mos.
4. Go to court and plead guilty and perhaps workout a payment plan.
5. Go to court and plead not guilty. Return for a trial. Lose and pay the fine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">