• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the medical provider claim not allowable amount?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stmas

What is the name of your state? MD
What is the name of your state? MD
1. I had an auto accident in 2001 when a drunk driver hit my car
2. Medical provider who treated me was participating provider in my insurance network.
3. My insurance payed the bills on the ammounts allowed. Each statement I have a copy of notifies me that I'm not liable for the balance when provider chraged more than allowable amount.
4. My lawer settled the case 3 years ago.
5. In December of 2004 I recieved a a bill from the provider requesting to pay the not allowable balance! on the basis that that was a car accident
6. I sent a fax with all the statements reminding the provider that they are in network and must not charge me more than allowed.
7. The medical provider continue sending me letters requesting the balance and stating that they have rights for a part of the settlement.
8. Is it legal for the medical provider to demand the balance?
9. If they send to collection agency, can collection agency damage my credit history?

Thanks in advance

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1.) Call your insurance company (the one that was in force at the time if different)
2.) Ask to speak to someone in their Provider Relations department
3.) Explain to them just what you've explained to us
4.) Ask them whether, under the circumstances, you are liable for the balance.
5.) If yes, send the money
6.) If no, then ask Provider Relations to notify the doctor's office that you are not responsible for the balance. They should be able to take care of it for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">