• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car accident who’s at fualt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chris100

I was parked behind a car in on a street and and to get out I had to back up a little, I looked all ways and made sure there’s no one behind me. So I started backing up but a car on the next lane over made a left turn and sideswiped my bumper hitting his door . The car making the turn crossed into the opposing lane to complete the turn and that’s why there was a crash. Who’s at fualt. In NJ

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was parked behind a car in on a street and and to get out I had to back up a little, I looked all ways and made sure there’s no one behind me. So I started backing up but a car on the next lane over made a left turn and sideswiped my bumper hitting his door . The car making the turn crossed into the opposing lane to complete the turn and that’s why there was a crash. Who’s at fualt. In NJ
I'm not sure I understand the situation. Generally, if you are backing, the duty is on you to make sure it is safe to do so.

Turn this matter over to your insurance company - that's what you pay them for.

Zigner

Yes I was backing up but he came out of no were crossing over the lane to make turn
Additionally, the duty is on you to make sure it is safe when pulling away from the curb and in to traffic.

He didn't come from "out of nowhere", you simply didn't see him.

LdiJ

I think I understand what the OP is saying. Instead of the other driver taking a proper right angle left turn, the other driver took an turn at an 120 or 150 degree angle causing them to have to partially go into the parking area to complete the turn...thus clipping his car.

LdiJ

I think I understand what the OP is saying. Instead of the other driver taking a proper right angle left turn, the other driver took an turn at an 120 or 150 degree angle causing them to have to partially go into the parking area to complete the turn...thus clipping his car.
Change that...I think I mean a 45 degree angle.

Chris100

I did but the police said it was completely my fualt but I was trying to explain that he tonwas at fualt for crossing the divider

Zigner

I did but the police said it was completely my fualt but I was trying to explain that he tonwas at fualt for crossing the divider
I believe it's your fault based on your description, and the police believe it's your fault based on your description and a physical examination of the scene of the accident. It's quite possible that it's your fault.

Chris100

i was backing up no doubt. But he wouldnt have scraped his door on my side bumper in the first place if he didint cross the divider and turned properly

Zigner

It's obvious that you are here for affirmation, not advice. Best of luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">