• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car caught on fire due to recall BMW does not care

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ghumber1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

2006 BMW M5 in pristine shape caught on fire in trunk due to positive battery post getting to hot
Known problem on E 60 m5 cars. I was told all service and were current at time of purchase. it was not. Any help
will be greatly welcomed. I understand this is not a new car but it burned due to no fault of mine Thanks Gerald

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

2006 BMW M5 in pristine shape caught on fire in trunk due to positive battery post getting to hot
Known problem on E 60 m5 cars. I was told all service and were current at time of purchase. it was not. Any help
will be greatly welcomed. I understand this is not a new car but it burned due to no fault of mine Thanks Gerald
Were you given that assurance in writing? Why didn't you check on recalls yourself?

adjusterjack

Do you have insurance that covers the car for fire?

ghumber1

Were you given that assurance in writing? Why didn't you check on recalls yourself?
I will have to look when I get home. You are right I wished I had but I was told it was up to date and honestly did not check on it. This dealer has been great to both my brother and myself other than this. Thanks

ghumber1

Do you have insurance that covers the car for fire?
No sir ... dropped full coverage because car was paid for. I understand the point you are making, I also think its dealer and or BMW who is at fault. I might be wrong that's why I'm here. My car is not the only one. This has happened over and over. I could have been killed also

xylene

what proof do you have of the cause of the fire?

how do you know the recall repair was not done?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No sir ... dropped full coverage because car was paid for. I understand the point you are making, I also think its dealer and or BMW who is at fault. I might be wrong that's why I'm here. My car is not the only one. This has happened over and over. I could have been killed also
This is a long-standing recall. Again, why didn't YOU check for recalls and do you have the assurances in writing that the dealer gave?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I understand this is not a new car but it burned due to no fault of mine
The best you can get out of this is the value of your car immediately before the fire. So it is the used car value that applies. You won’t get a new car out of it and you don’t win any money for things that could have happened (like your death) that did not happen. Your only loss was a used car, and that is what you get compensated for. If you sue the dealer or the manufacturer you need to prove one or both were negligent. If the manufacturer sent out a recall notice to you with the address on file with the DMV or in its warranty information files that will probably absolve the manufacturer of liability here, even if you didn’t get it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">