• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car reported stolen (!) for non-payment...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kozel

What is the name of your state? CA (California)

So I've got notified that car that I've bought from a dealer 4 months ago was reported as stolen. What happened is that I bought this car about 4 months ago, and week after I've got it, I've lost my job and was unable to pay even first payment. I went out of state because of promise of my friend to get me a job, but soon after he went out of business as well...

So 4 months later, I still haven't made any payments on it. All in all, its a financial problem to me. I'd expect reposession, penalties, etc., but nothing like reports that I'VE STOLEN it!

Not only I have a buy&sell contract on hand, but I've ALSO TRADED in my other vehicle at the time of purchase!

From a legal dictionary I read this:

theft n. the generic term for all crimes in which a person intentionally and fraudulently takes personal property of another without permission or consent and with the intent to convert it to the taker's use (including potential sale).

So this is definitely not falls under this rediculous statement of me steeling. Did I just walked into to a dealer, left my own (paid off) car there, hopped into other car and drove away?

Investigator threating me with 6-7 prison time.... omg...

Thanks in advance for advice....

P.S. Currently I have money to pay off all outstanding bills... but from what I've heard that its not an option anymore.

P.P.S. Remember that I've traded in my other car for this, so if i'll surrender this car, do I just give my other car as a present to the dealership? That car worth a lot more then 4 monthly payments on this car....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">