• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claims Adjuster for injury only willing to pay $500...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sandrabee

I was wondering if any of you could help me out a bit here....

I went on a college ski trip up in the northern California mountains and drove there myself..on the way back, my car was rear ended by another car.

I ended up a bit of a neck problem...couldn't move my neck to the right (which was just absolutely convinenet for driving...:/ )

I went to a doctor and he told me to do physical therapy..which was $30/pop copay 2x a week for 6 weeks..ALso, the doc told me to apply hot/cold packs twice a day for a few weeks.

Well, since with my financial aid for college I could barely afford extra clothes for fun, I didn't do the physical therapy. I did, however, ask a friend who is going to physical therapy school and almost graduated what I should do and she told me that my injury was quite common and not that severe, and gave me some excersizes to do and told me that I shouldn't be driving and that I should get rides or use public transportation

As a result, I only went to the doctor once time officially, and only spent money on that one visits and all my ice/hot packs.

I was also taking an art class ( I am going to school to be an art teacher/art therapist) and was paiting big murals.

I couldn't paint the big murals due to my neck problem, so I withdrew from my class, thinking that I would take it next semester.

I ended up having to take that art class in the summer to meet a deadline, and as a result, could only work part time.--totally didin't forsee that!

I also spend lots of money on subway/bus fare, which costs 2x as much as driving in my metropolitan city.

I filed a clain with Liberty mutal for the cost of the ice/hot packs and the loss of wages, subway/bus fare. and also a hundred or so for "pain and suffering"

Now, Liberty mutal is only willing to give me $500 for my "Alleged problems"--the insurance adjuster was VERy rude and implied that I was making everything up.

I faxed the insurance adjuster reciepts of my ice/hot packs, subway fare reciepts, and loss of wages and one doctor visit.

I estimate my loss to worth at least several thousand.

In retrospect, I should have just asked the Liberty Mutal Company to give me some money for my estimated physiotherapy costs, but they avoided telling me about that route.

Now, I know that insurance adjusters only given a range to work with, and that that $500 is probably the low end of that range.

My Adjuster refuses to pay for *loss of wages*, *subway fare* and the majority of my ice/hot packs, which were $14/a pack!

How do I get her to give a higher range?

I honestly believe that had I gone to physical therapy, I would have healed just the same amount of time...only i would have more to prove my case : (

racer72

You are being offered a very fair amount for the minimal treatment you and your amatuer physical therapist thought was required. You chose the alternate transportation and hot packs, they do not have to pay for that.

justalayman

You were told to go to PT; you refused. You went to a doctor one time. Now, sit back and look at that for a moment. If a person was wanting you to pay them for an injury you caused, would you believe that little treatment really justified any real claim?

As well, you are required to mitigate your damages. That means you have to take efforts to minimize the affects caused by your injuries. Who knows how long you would have not been able to drive a car if you had actually gotten proper treatment.

I honestly believe that had I gone to physical therapy, I would have healed just the same amount of time.
maybe

..only i would have more to prove my case : (
No, not more; Something. As it stands now, you don't have anything and you cannot prove it would have taken as long to heal.

so, where is your car insurance in this? Do you have any PIP?

Mass_Shyster

I faxed the insurance adjuster reciepts of my ice/hot packs, subway fare reciepts, and loss of wages and one doctor visit.

I estimate my loss to worth at least several thousand.
(
I suspect if you total up the receipts of your ice/hot packs, subway fare, and doctor visit, you'll find it's right around $500.

The insurance company isn't going to pay you based on your own estimate of your loss. They want hard numbers.

They also probably will not include your loss of wages, as that is due to your enrollment in a class, not because you couldn't work.

ecmst12

They also wouldn't have paid you for treatment not received yet - they would only reimburse you for treatment you already received.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">