• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confused about my insurance company filed my claim to inter-company arbitration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jocny

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hi, I was involved in an accident happened 2 months ago. Let me describe how the accident was happened first.
I crashed into the other party's car when she was making her u-turn in a mid-block on El Camino Real.
Before the accident was happened, I was driving on the left lane on El Camino Real which has 3 lanes. The accident was happened at night. No other car was on the same direction were driven besides my car. When I almost drove to the location of the accident, the other party's car suddenly made its u-turn in front of me (I did open the head lights coz it was already at night). I immediately braked my car but still ran into the other driver's passenger right rear door.
My car was straightly stopped on the road. The other party's car was horizontally stopped in front of my car that means she didn't even complete her u-turn.
However, I couldn't find my phone after the accident was just happened, so I couldn't take any picture of the accident.
After the first investigation, my insurance company said I was 100% at fault because they said I was trying to make a u-turn in the mid-block and confused the other party that she could make u-turn. But, after I clarified the misunderstanding of my description about the accident to my insurance company (saying I didn't try to make u-turn and didn't blink any turn signal, so don't know how they came out this conclusion), the other party was 100% at fault in the re-investigation. And, I have already been covered by my insurance company for my total lost car a month ago.

However, now I received a letter from my insurance company said they are unable to reach an agreement to the other party's insurance company. So, they have filed for an inter-company arbitration to resolve the claim. Does it mean my insurance company is the one required the arbitration? But, why my claim have to come into an arbitration? If the claim still cannot be resolved from the arbitration, will it be litigated in court? Any expense I have to pay for the arbitration?

ecmst12

No, it won't cost you anything. Your insurance company is attempting to get the money that they paid you back from the at-fault party's insurance, but they don't want to admit that she was at fault. This isn't really anything you have to worry about. If they win, you'll get your deductible back. If they lose, you won't. Arbitration is binding so they won't be able to take it any further if they lose.

jocny

No, it won't cost you anything. Your insurance company is attempting to get the money that they paid you back from the at-fault party's insurance, but they don't want to admit that she was at fault. This isn't really anything you have to worry about. If they win, you'll get your deductible back. If they lose, you won't. Arbitration is binding so they won't be able to take it any further if they lose.
So, do you think there is a chance to win?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">