• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a choice in where I get my car fixed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

srlena31

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio. A guy was cited for hitting my car. I do not have collision so I was told by my insurance company that I have to go thru his insurance which is Progressive. The adjuster told me I have no choice but to have the car towed to the repair/body shop that they use. Is this true? I don't trust progressive, especially the adjuster shouldn't I have a choice of where the damage is assessed and repaired even if progressive is paying? Please help. It took them a week to get me in a rental car and that was after I spoke with the adjusters supervisor?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio. A guy was cited for hitting my car. I do not have collision so I was told by my insurance company that I have to go thru his insurance which is Progressive. The adjuster told me I have no choice but to have the car towed to the repair/body shop that they use. Is this true? I don't trust progressive, especially the adjuster shouldn't I have a choice of where the damage is assessed and repaired even if progressive is paying? Please help. It took them a week to get me in a rental car and that was after I spoke with the adjusters supervisor?
Yes, you have the choice. If the guy's insurance refuses to pay, then you will need to sue the guy who hit you to recover what you are out.

PayrollHRGuy

There is a step you might want to take prior to having the repairs done and having to sue.

The Ohio Department of Insurance regulates agents and companies that are licensed to sell insurance in our state. The Department’s Consumer Services representatives can answer your insurance questions and investigate your complaints about an insurance company or agent. Call 1-800-686-1526.
Call that 800 #

adjusterjack

The adjuster told me I have no choice but to have the car towed to the repair/body shop that they use. Is this true?
No, it isn't.

But understand that, if you use a shop that charges more than what Progressive's shop will charge, you will pay the difference yourself, or have sue the other driver and convince a judge that the higher cost was appropriate.

If you want to avoid the hassle, I suggest you get the name of the shop and check them out online for reviews as well as visit the shop, talk to the owners and customers, check out their work.

I had a positive experience some years ago with a State Farm preferred shop. My truck was repaired perfectly and the bill went straight to the insurance company. They even had a rental car waiting at the shop for me and that bill also went straight to the insurance company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">