• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need a lawyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

StClair

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I was in an accident a few weeks ago. No one was hurt that I know of. My vehicle was totaled and the other may have been as well. I was sitting at a light to turn left, got the green arrow and turned. Driver from the opposite way went through the intersection and hit me with enough force to spin my car around and total it. I say I had the green arrow to turn and he says he still had the green light to go through the intersection. We both received tickets and a court date. I think they will find that we are both partially at fault as I didn't see him coming. It was early in the morning and the sun was right in my face. I was focusing on the arrow and not the traffic. Will this be settled easily? Should I find an attorney to represent me at court?

Thanks

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I think they will find that we are both partially at fault as I didn't see him coming.
The court will decide whether you are guilty or innocent of whatever you were charged with, not who was at fault for the accident. So what WERE you charged with?

Let your insurance company deal with that - that's why you pay them a lot of money every year.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
In this case, firstly say thanks to God that no one was injured there. Next, you are right that it is both yours fault that none was looking for traffic on the others side which is not a sign of good driver. But, still I think you should register the FIR so that this will not happen to others also. Rest is up to you.
What in the h-e-double-hockey-sticks are you talking about?

Stick around a while. READ, LEARN, and then respond

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">