• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving with expired inspection sticker

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lilynitestorm

My brother asked me to find out what it would cost if he just plead guilty and paid the fines after being ticketed for driving on an expired inspection sticker. He lives in Buffalo, NY and apparently has been pulled over and ticketed at least twice since his inspection sticker lapsed in November, I think. He was driving, not parked. I know there's mandatory fees from the state too but I'm wondering if pleading guilty is even the right thing to do.

Just Blue

My brother asked me to find out what it would cost if he just plead guilty and paid the fines after being ticketed for driving on an expired inspection sticker. He lives in Buffalo, NY and apparently has been pulled over and ticketed at least twice since his inspection sticker lapsed in November, I think. He was driving, not parked. I know there's mandatory fees from the state too but I'm wondering if pleading guilty is even the right thing to do.
Is there a VERY GOOD reason he can't "find out" for himself?

xylene

Your brother aught to have FIXED this correctbale violation the first time it happened or scrapped his vehicle...

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
The cost of the fine should be on the ticket. At least it is, along with directions, on such tickets issued in my small town. Granted, it's been over 10 years since I looked at such a ticket, but I doubt they've changed the format.

He can pay the fine or go to court to contest it.

It would have been cheaper to make an appointment for an inspection after the first one.

xylene

The cost of the fine should be on the ticket. At least it is, along with directions, on such tickets issued in my small town. Granted, it's been over 10 years since I looked at such a ticket, but I doubt they've changed the format.

He can pay the fine or go to court to contest it.

It would have been cheaper to make an appointment for an inspection after the first one.

It is possible bro is hitting up op bro for some money... and op bro wants to know if bro is fibbing.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It is possible bro is hitting up op bro for some money... and op bro wants to know if bro is fibbing.
Or...it's possible that the OP is trying to help out his brother who asked him "...to find out what it would cost if he just plead guilty and paid the fines after being ticketed for driving on an expired inspection sticker."

quincy

Does your brother have a defense to driving with an expired inspection sticker? If not, he is probably best off paying the fine and getting a new inspection sticker before he is ticketed again. The fines are far more costly than the inspection fee.

Here are two links, the first to fines for driving with no sticker and driving with an expired sticker, and the second to inspection fees:

https://dmv.ny.gov/inspection/inspection-requirements

https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/vs77.pdf

xylene

Or...it's possible that the OP is trying to help out his brother who asked him "...to find out what it would cost if he just plead guilty and paid the fines after being ticketed for driving on an expired inspection sticker."
Well, since the ticket doesn't say what the fine would be MONTHS late, I can guess whatever I like about the motives of a 3rd party post.

quincy

If the brother has been pulled over "at least twice" since the sticker expired in November, it is curious that he doesn't know how much the fine is.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The cost of the fine should be on the ticket. At least it is, along with directions, on such tickets issued in my small town.
I don't know what small town you live in that has it's own traffic ticket. In New York State there is only one - the Uniform Traffic Ticket (either a UT-50 or UT-60). Fines are not listed on the motorist copy.

Only the NYC service copy, which is all yellow, lists fines.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">