• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit by Uninsured Driver in AZ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Sunny AZ

So darling husband (DH) was hit this morning: both driver's side doors are damaged, there's a half-dollar-sized dent/crease in the rear quarter panel, and neither door opens/closes properly.

Good news: he doesn't feel like he sustained any injuries (at least not yet, we'll see how he feels in the a.m.)

Bad news: although the other driver had what appeared to be a valid insurance card from "The General" insurance, they just called to let husband know that the driver's insurance had lapsed. Although oddly enough, the responding officer told husband that the other driver's insurance was good.

So my question is this (and I'm hoping adjusterjack chimes in): should DH bother calling the Phoenix PD to let them know that the other driver isn't insured? We have full coverage, including uninsured/underinsured coverage. We'll be out $1,000 deductible, but everything else should be covered. But I'm so daggone annoyed that the other guy doesn't have the required coverage that I want it to be followed up on. But will it matter? What would happen to "I can afford an Escalade but I don't bother with insurance"?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Sunny AZ

So darling husband (DH) was hit this morning: both driver's side doors are damaged, there's a half-dollar-sized dent/crease in the rear quarter panel, and neither door opens/closes properly.

Good news: he doesn't feel like he sustained any injuries (at least not yet, we'll see how he feels in the a.m.)

Bad news: although the other driver had what appeared to be a valid insurance card from "The General" insurance, they just called to let husband know that the driver's insurance had lapsed. Although oddly enough, the responding officer told husband that the other driver's insurance was good.

So my question is this (and I'm hoping adjusterjack chimes in): should DH bother calling the Phoenix PD to let them know that the other driver isn't insured? We have full coverage, including uninsured/underinsured coverage. We'll be out $1,000 deductible, but everything else should be covered. But I'm so daggone annoyed that the other guy doesn't have the required coverage that I want it to be followed up on. But will it matter? What would happen to "I can afford an Escalade but I don't bother with insurance"?
1; I hope DH is still well in the a.m. ...

2; I wouldn't trust a thing the "General" says.

3. All of the ^ is just MHO. (except you hubby doing well...:) )

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Yeah, when DH told me the other guy had "The General" I had a bad feeling. Because I don't know of anyone that uses TG unless they have to.

When I bought my first insurance policy when I was 18 years old, I just couldn't wrap my head around WHY it was necessary for ME to pay for uninsured/underinsured coverage, when it's illegal to not have insurance. It still annoys me that we'll be out $1,000 in deductible because the other guy sucks, but it could have been way, way worse. So I feel blessed DH seems to be injury-free.

Just Blue

Yeah, when DH told me the other guy had "The General" I had a bad feeling. Because I don't know of anyone that uses TG unless they have to.

When I bought my first insurance policy when I was 18 years old, I just couldn't wrap my head around WHY it was necessary for ME to pay for uninsured/underinsured coverage, when it's illegal to not have insurance. It still annoys me that we'll be out $1,000 in deductible because the other guy sucks, but it could have been way, way worse. So I feel blessed DH seems to be injury-free.
If I were you I would notify the police and let them know that TG is stating that the other driver has lapsed coverage. And sue the driver for the deductible. I would have to P.M. you with my thoughts on uninsured drivers as the language would get me banned if I posted here. ;)

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
If I thought anyone with TG insurance had the proverbial pot to pee in I'd consider taking him to SC court. But as I've learned from my time hanging out here, getting the judgment is the easy part -- it's collecting that's the issue.

(And I had less-than-kind thoughts when we got the call saying he wasn't covered. The weird thing is that when DH first called TG this morning, they didn't say a word about other driver not being covered. We didn't get THAT call until 8 hours later...) :mad::mad:

Just Blue

If I thought anyone with TG insurance had the proverbial pot to pee in I'd consider taking him to SC court. But as I've learned from my time hanging out here, getting the judgment is the easy part -- it's collecting that's the issue.

(And I had less-than-kind thoughts when we got the call saying he wasn't covered. The weird thing is that when DH first called TG this morning, they didn't say a word about other driver not being covered. We didn't get THAT call until 8 hours later...) :mad::mad:
Well...It would cause the other driver much distress to have both a criminal charge for driving without insurance and a civil suit for the 1,000.00. Try to get on JJ...You will get your 1k back and other driver will be humiliated on National T.V. ...:D

HRZ

Put your findings in writing to PD and follow up.

In theory a 1st offense driving wo insurance in AZ could get him 3 months of license and registration suspended.

SUe him...

adjusterjack

The other responders have pretty much covered everything.

The "valid" insurance card is usually dated for the full policy term and wouldn't reflect a lapse or cancellation when an officer looks at it.

My question to you, Shadowbunny, is why do you have a $1000 deductible when it's apparently painful to you to pay that out of your own pocket?

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
The other responders have pretty much covered everything.

The "valid" insurance card is usually dated for the full policy term and wouldn't reflect a lapse or cancellation when an officer looks at it.

My question to you, Shadowbunny, is why do you have a $1000 deductible when it's apparently painful to you to pay that out of your own pocket?
The pain is only a by-product of "righteous indignation" -- fortunately it's not a financial pain.

adjusterjack

The pain is only a by-product of "righteous indignation" -- fortunately it's not a financial pain.
I've been asking that question regularly ever since I have found people posting $1000 deductibles that never new they had one until they had a claim.

I've never found that there was enough of a reduction in rates (for me) to go from $500 to $1000 to make it worthwhile.

HRZ

SHort of tripping over the line as to extortion...and Imdont know where an such line might be in AZ...why are you not all over the supposedly uninsured driver to cough up ?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
So my question is this (and I'm hoping adjusterjack chimes in): should DH bother calling the Phoenix PD to let them know that the other driver isn't insured? We have full coverage, including uninsured/underinsured coverage. We'll be out $1,000 deductible, but everything else should be covered.
Tell the police about it. If the other guy gets charged and convicted, the court might impose as part of the penalty a requirement to pay your $1,000 deductible as restitution. When I had a similar accident in a different state, the 16 year-old unlicensed driver had no insurance and neither did the adult who owned the car, was with him, and knew the kid didn't have a license. The owner was charged for letting an unlicensed driver drive the car and for not having insurance on the car. The prosecutor made sure to get restitution as part of the sentence to pay my deductible. And he did pay — the alternative was time in jail.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
SHort of tripping over the line as to extortion...and Imdont know where an such line might be in AZ...why are you not all over the supposedly uninsured driver to cough up ?
Blood from a turnip and all that. Driving a 16 year-old vehicle with no insurance tells me that it would be a futile attempt.

Tell the police about it. If the other guy gets charged and convicted, the court might impose as part of the penalty a requirement to pay your $1,000 deductible as restitution. When I had a similar accident in a different state, the 16 year-old unlicensed driver had no insurance and neither did the adult who owned the car, was with him, and knew the kid didn't have a license. The owner was charged for letting an unlicensed driver drive the car and for not having insurance on the car. The prosecutor made sure to get restitution as part of the sentence to pay my deductible. And he did pay — the alternative was time in jail.
I never thought of restitution -- thanks, TM. The insurance adjuster said that they (our insurance) would let the police know that other driver was uninsured, but that seems odd to me.

Tammy75

Blood from a turnip and all that. Driving a 16 year-old vehicle with no insurance tells me that it would be a futile attempt.

I never thought of restitution -- thanks, TM. The insurance adjuster said that they (our insurance) would let the police know that other driver was uninsured, but that seems odd to me.
In NC, all they do is suspend the driver license but people still drive around uninsured. Most of the time, restitution never happens. Maybe you will get your deductible back but that can take years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">