• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit while in parking lot, person backed into passenger door

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

I’m a bit amazed that everybody has come to the conclusion the op bears no culpability in this situation.

The damage as explained is not what one would expect from a person “moving forward” (at what speed) being impacted by a car that was backing from a parking space.

Now saying it is op’s fault but come on; the damage shattered the window, caused the side view mirror to fly into the op’s car and the damage continue the length of the op’s car.

Just how fast do you have to be moving to not be able to stop before you continue for another 10 feet or so after a car backs into you?

Maybe questions like;

Did the other drivers insurance company explain why they feel you are 10% culpable?

Should be asked before total condemnation of the insurance industry in whole.

Patrick Hogan

I agree with people here saying that what the insurer did to you was unfair and should be reported. Those kinds of practices must be stopped.

As for your options, filing in the small claims court is okay if the damage (or car value, if you're going for that) is $10,000 or less. In small claims court, you represent yourself and proceedings will be more informal, and possibly shorter. The whole process can take just a few months.

I do wish you get your claim, in the most convenient and quickest way possible. Please note this is not legal advice. Good luck!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I agree with people here saying that what the insurer did to you was unfair and should be reported. Those kinds of practices must be stopped.

As for your options, filing in the small claims court is okay if the damage (or car value, if you're going for that) is $10,000 or less. In small claims court, you represent yourself and proceedings will be more informal, and possibly shorter. The whole process can take just a few months.

I do wish you get your claim, in the most convenient and quickest way possible. Please note this is not legal advice. Good luck!
You do realize that the information you gave was already presented to the OP, right?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">