• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was uninsured at the time of accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ecmst12

This sounds like a mostly 50-50 fault situation to me, though the backing driver might be slightly more at fault. But the other driver's insurance is pursuing you because you are uninsured and thus there is no one to defend you - they are hoping you will just pay. If they take you to court, you will have to pay for a lawyer to defend yourself. Which sucks, because you really shouldn't pay them a penny. I would tell them to pound sand, you were not more than 50% at fault which means they can't recover from you under TN law. Then wait and see if you are served with court papers.

Now, you may still lose your license for driving uninsured, but that's a separate issue. And if they decide to sue, you will need to defend yourself. But personally, I'd take that risk since they really don't have a case.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Now, you may still lose your license for driving uninsured, but that's a separate issue.
According to the statute I posted, the OP can post a bond equal to the amount of damage to the other vehicle prior to going to court. This should keep her from losing her license.

okezieowen

This sounds like a mostly 50-50 fault situation to me, though the backing driver might be slightly more at fault. But the other driver's insurance is pursuing you because you are uninsured and thus there is no one to defend you - they are hoping you will just pay. If they take you to court, you will have to pay for a lawyer to defend yourself. Which sucks, because you really shouldn't pay them a penny. I would tell them to pound sand, you were not more than 50% at fault which means they can't recover from you under TN law. Then wait and see if you are served with court papers.

Now, you may still lose your license for driving uninsured, but that's a separate issue. And if they decide to sue, you will need to defend yourself. But personally, I'd take that risk since they really don't have a case.
Thanks a lot. What you advised (which is what Zigner earlier suggested) is what I plan to do: wait to get the notice of license revocation, then contest it.

ecmst12

Action against your license is completely separate from a civil lawsuit to recover the cost to repair the other car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">