• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lawyers fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kimooo

Do all lawyers take big ticket law suits on a contingency basis? Is this standard practice? do lawyers charge hourly rates for these types of cases? The lawyer wants $5,000 retainer fee and 30% of the winnings, is this normal?
my son is suing his recently deceased business partner's estate that received the $600,000 life insurance policy because my son was named beneficiary for over 10 yrs per a pre-arranged oral agreement. the agreement was for he and his business partner to take out life insurance policies naming each other as the beneficiaries. this they felt would ease the burden of the survivor, should one die unecpectedly(as is the case).
His bus. partner changed the beneficiary without my sons acknowledgement or consent. everyone says get a lawyer, but these rates are rather steep. Especially since this may be a simple case.
I believe the partner didnt have the authority to change the beneficiary and this is something quite possibly stated in the contract. the lawyer isnt willing to negotiate a lesser fee if this is a quick and simple case.
Please comment on any part of my statement or refer me to a fair lawyer

L

lisa l

contingent fees are subject to negotiation, as are hourly rates. Is there more than one lawyer in your city? If so, meet with others and find out what they will charge. I bet you find someone you like better.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">