• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leaving the scene of a minor accident when not at fault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DH888

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

This morning on my way to work, a car swerved into my lane and hit the back drivers door of my car. There was no injuries and the damage was fairly minor. We pulled over and I saw the damage was minimal and informed the other driver not to worry about it and that I would pay for the damage. The reason I did this is because I had a very important meeting this morning that if I didn't get to on time, I probably would have lost my job.

I know this wasn't the right thing to do, but what are the possibilities of me getting arrested for this even though the accident wasn't my fault? The other driver was concerned that they injured me, but when I informed them that I would take care of it, they seemed ok with it. They don't have any of my info (unless they wrote down my plate number).

I know this was a dumb thing to do. But in all reality, how likely am I to be arrested? I have never been arrested before and have no tickets or violations on my record.

PayrollHRGuy

From https://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/rpt/2007-R-0467.htm

Someone operating a motor vehicle who is knowingly involved in an accident that causes physical injury or property damage must (1) stop; (2) render assistance; and (3) give his or her name, address, and license and registration number to the injured person, property owner, officer, or witness. If the person is unable to provide this information, he or she must immediately report the accident and provide the required information and the location and circumstances of the accident to a police officer, constable, motor vehicle inspector, or police station (CGS § 14-224(b)).

A violator is subject to (1) up to one year in prison, a fine of $75 to $600, or both for a first violation and (2) up to one year in prison, a fine of $100 to $1,000, or both for subsequent violations (CGS § 14-224(g)). In addition, a violator is subject to a license suspension of at least 90 days (CGS § 14-111(b)).
Had you simply given them your name, address, and license and registration number you would have been in the clear.

Can't guess what the other driver will do. How bad was their damage?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You won't be arrested but it was a very stupid thing to do. It takes no time to at least exchange phone numbers and deal with the details later. Hopefully the other party isn't injured. You should probably be reporting the accident to your insurance company, even if you are not filing a claim, to avoid any possible hassles later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">