• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Meeting with Adjuster and don't want to get screwed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dawnao

What is the name of your state? GA

My 17 yr old daughter was stopped at a redlight, in my car, when a car slammed into her from behind, the driver left the scene and caused another accident down the road. Apparently he was taking some kind of medication that caused him to be in a "drunk" like state. My car was totaled. My daughter is still under a doctor's care for head, neck and back injuries. This was over 2 weeks ago and this guy's insurance company was being a complete jerk and refused to take liability. Now they suddenly call me and agree that they are responsible and are meeting with us on Tuesday.

Here are my questions:

1) How does the insurance company determine the value of the vehicle?

2) If I am not satisfied with their offer what should I do? I have reserached same year/make/model of cars for sale in the area so I know what it will cost to replace the vehicle. Can I demand that amount?

3) I only want to settle the property damage portion of the claim as my daughter is still under a doctor's care. Can they hold off paying for the property damage until she is released by her doctor?

I hear so many horror stories about how people get screwed by insurance companies so I want to be prepared. Appreciate any help you can give.

dawnao said:
What is the name of your state? GA

My 17 yr old daughter was stopped at a redlight, in my car, when a car slammed into her from behind, the driver left the scene and caused another accident down the road. Apparently he was taking some kind of medication that caused him to be in a "drunk" like state. My car was totaled. My daughter is still under a doctor's care for head, neck and back injuries. This was over 2 weeks ago and this guy's insurance company was being a complete jerk and refused to take liability. Now they suddenly call me and agree that they are responsible and are meeting with us on Tuesday.

Here are my questions:

1) How does the insurance company determine the value of the vehicle? The insurance company will give you fair market value for the vehicle

2) If I am not satisfied with their offer what should I do? I have reserached same year/make/model of cars for sale in the area so I know what it will cost to replace the vehicle. Can I demand that amount? You may negotiate. You can send several ads of same make, model, mileage, and condition of your vehicle in your area and what it's selling for to the insurance company. Can't guarentee that will always work, but it helps.

3) I only want to settle the property damage portion of the claim as my daughter is still under a doctor's care. Can they hold off paying for the property damage until she is released by her doctor? Property and medical damage are two seperate issues. The insurance company can settle the property portion of your claim 1st, while your daughter is receiving treatment.

I hear so many horror stories about how people get screwed by insurance companies so I want to be prepared. Appreciate any help you can give.
Hope this helps

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">