• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor car accident but other party trying to sue me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

g.as

Washington (only U.S. law)?

Hi all. I was involved in a car accident almost 2 yrs ago. I bumped a car at about 10 mi hr driving in rush hour traffic, Police came out and didn't even file a report because according to them there was not enough damage done. The other party tried to file a lawsuit against me back then but their attorney refused to take their case.

From what I've gathered they have been involved in a few accidents prior to this one and 3 after this incident all rear end accidents I believe.
My insurance company has been trying to get the families medical records for a yr now but they refused to co-operate. Today I get a hand delivered letter from a new lawyer stating that they are filing a lawsuit against me for major medical damages.

This is my 1st accident in well over 30 yrs. Why would they hire a lawyer rather than using their insurance company? My Insurance at that time was 25/50 though I raised it considerably shortly afterwards. I just didn't have the finances for a larger coverage.

This past yr and a half has been a nightmare! My income comes from SSI and a low paying part time job.

This really has me freaked out, not sure what to expect. Any feedback would be truly appreciated :)

Mass_Shyster

Hi all. I was involved in a car accident almost 2 yrs ago. I bumped a car at about 10 mi hr driving in rush hour traffic, Police came out and didn't even file a report because according to them there was not enough damage done. The other party tried to file a lawsuit against me back then but their attorney refused to take their case.

From what I've gathered they have been involved in a few accidents prior to this one and 3 after this incident all rear end accidents I believe.
My insurance company has been trying to get the families medical records for a yr now but they refused to co-operate. Today I get a hand delivered letter from a new lawyer stating that they are filing a lawsuit against me for major medical damages.

This is my 1st accident in well over 30 yrs. Why would they hire a lawyer rather than using their insurance company? My Insurance at that time was 25/50 though I raised it considerably shortly afterwards. I just didn't have the finances for a larger coverage.

This past yr and a half has been a nightmare! My income comes from SSI and a low paying part time job.

This really has me freaked out, not sure what to expect. Any feedback would be truly appreciated :)
Send a copy of that letter to your insurance company. You pay them a bunch of money to deal with this stuff.

LdiJ

Send a copy of that letter to your insurance company. You pay them a bunch of money to deal with this stuff.
Seriously, its your insurance company's job to deal with the law suit. Just cooperate with them.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member

The other party tried to file a lawsuit against me back then but their attorney refused to take their case.
Wisdom from the Yoda school of thought: “Sue or sue not. There is no try.” The point is that there is no lawsuit until one is actually filed. Until then, it’s all just talk and posturing.

Eekamouse

How can you possibly know all this stuff about the other party?

xylene

How can you possibly know all this stuff about the other party?
The op didn't use the word know... maybe getting all bold italic-y is a little premature.

Plus this is like the internet age, not hard to check things out.

FlyingRon

Wisdom from the Yoda school of thought: “Sue or sue not. There is no try.” The point is that there is no lawsuit until one is actually filed. Until then, it’s all just talk and posturing.
A wise man, Taxing Matters is. Listen to him, you should.

Eekamouse

The op didn't use the word know... maybe getting all bold italic-y is a little premature.

Plus this is like the internet age, not hard to check things out.
How could he know that the other party's attorney refused to take the case? Is that information readily available on the internet? Color me surprised if it is.

adjusterjack

How could he know that the other party's attorney refused to take the case? Is that information readily available on the internet? Color me surprised if it is.
It would surprise me less if the OP's insurance company claim rep gleaned all that from discussions with the claimant and relayed the information to the OP.

g.as

Thanks for the feedback guys. I did immediately fax the paperwork to my insurance company. I guess my question since I'm very new to this is what the process will be. These lawyers are asking for the sky and beyond which I suppose is a deliberate negotiations point?
As for the information, I guess I just asked the right questions to the appropriate people.

Last edited:

g.as

Well I guess the lawsuit was filed since I was given 20 days to respond or it would default to the other party's lawyers request for damages payment. I'm just praying my insurance company's Lawyer is able to settle under my limit. With the previous accidents prior to my incident and the accidents after my request I'm guessing all party's got the same notice from this one Firm?

All in all this sure smells funny to me especially since the other party declined to give my insurance company all the medical reports for over a year

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
All in all this sure smells funny to me especially since the other party declined to give my insurance company all the medical reports for over a year
It's quite possible the other party was still undergoing treatment, thus making submittal of reports premature.

g.as

When going through the process will their lawyer/and or the judge look at all my assets (which in my case I have very little to collect from and my only source of income is SSI and a low paying part time job) to see if they can get more money or are they irrelevant when making the final judgment?

This really has me concerned as is obvious. Thanks again for all the feedback :)

Last edited:

doucar

No, the judge will not, the opposing attorney may not formally ask you until they get a judgment. The can do asset searches if they choose.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">