• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was my insurance valid?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tnieves706

I a guy ran out in front of my car and i hit him. The police came got my information and towed my car for futher inspection. My car was released to me and no charges were filed and i was found not at fault. I just recieved a letter in the mail from the guy i hit lawyer wanting my insurance information when its on the police report. The insurance company is saying my policy was cancelled at the time but i was not ticketed and i was able to get my car out of impound. What i want to know is did the police run my insurance or are they suppose to run at the scene of an accident? Do they check my plates or registration

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I a guy ran out in front of my car and i hit him. The police came got my information and towed my car for futher inspection. My car was released to me and no charges were filed and i was found not at fault. I just recieved a letter in the mail from the guy i hit lawyer wanting my insurance information when its on the police report. The insurance company is saying my policy was cancelled at the time but i was not ticketed and i was able to get my car out of impound. What i want to know is did the police run my insurance or are they suppose to run at the scene of an accident? Do they check my plates or registration
First, you neglected to tell us the name of your US state.

Second, call your insurance company and ask THEM, not a bunch of random strangers on the internet. What the police or the impound yard is or isn't supposed to do has absolutely nothing to do with the question of whether or not your insurance was valid.

PayrollHRGuy

Yes the police will generally check all of that but an insurance carrier has some period of time to report a canceled policy to the state if they are required to do so at all.

ecmst12

No, the police is not going to call your insurance company to find out if your policy is valid, they're just going to look at the dates on your card. If you don't pay your bill and your policy is cancelled early, then you're not covered for that time. If you don't have coverage, you're going to need to get a lawyer. You may not be legally responsible for the guy's injuries if he was crossing illegally, but you'll still need to present a defense if he decides to sue you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">