• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

not at fault accident, but uninsured at time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MSAGWAH

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

My husband had an accident (other driver at fault) and we found out upon filing the claim that our policy was cancelled(approx. 2wks b4 accident)...LONG STORY!!! Anyway, my husband was injured and our car is totalled. I would like to know if the other driver(at fault) insurance still covers my damages and what about my husband's personal injuries. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
Msagwah

Lynx 36

MSAGWAH said:
What is the name of your state? Louisiana

My husband had an accident (other driver at fault) and we found out upon filing the claim that our policy was cancelled(approx. 2wks b4 accident)...LONG STORY!!! Anyway, my husband was injured and our car is totalled. I would like to know if the other driver(at fault) insurance still covers my damages and what about my husband's personal injuries. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
Msagwah
In most states there are limits one can collect on injuries if they drive w/ no insurance. You need to find out the specific laws of your state. Don't be surprised if you are on the hook f/ meds, as well as getting no pain and suffering. In KY the injured party is responsible f/ their first 10k in meds. The insurance co. accepting liability will pay anything over that, but one is not entitled to receive punitive damages. The insurance co. will pay f/ the property damage to your car though.

S

seniorjudge

MSAGWAH said:
My husband had an accident (other driver at fault) and we found out upon filing the claim that our policy was cancelled(approx. 2wks b4 accident)...
Change whoever is in charge of paying the bills in your household.

tproctor

uninsured but it was not my fault

seniorjudge said:
I have a similar situation. On January 23, an uninsured motorist hit my parked car. I live in Irvington NJ. He said that he would pay, but after getting estimates and giving them to him he never returned my calls. I have went to Irvington township and wrote him an uninsured motorist ticket. I have also filed a small claims suit in civil court in Newark, New Jersey. I had no insurance. Will he have to pay for my car I beleive he should you can not just go around damaging other people property. Did I do the right thing? Or will I get in trouble for not having insurance even though my car was parked. :mad:

S

seniorjudge

tproctor said:
I have a similar situation. On January 23, an uninsured motorist hit my parked car. I live in Irvington NJ. He said that he would pay, but after getting estimates and giving them to him he never returned my calls. I have went to Irvington township and wrote him an uninsured motorist ticket. I have also filed a small claims suit in civil court in Newark, New Jersey. I had no insurance. Will he have to pay for my car I beleive he should you can not just go around damaging other people property. Did I do the right thing? Or will I get in trouble for not having insurance even though my car was parked. :mad:
Start your own thread.

MSAGWAH

seniorjudge said:
Actually the premium was paid but the insurance co. credited the payment back into my account b/c I would not add my son (21yrs) to my policy mainly b/c he lives in his own apt in a different city and he did drive a vehicle belonging to me for 1 day and had an accident( at fault) but he does own his own vehicle which was in the shop and he borrowed mine to get back and forth to work for that day only. The accident occurred while he was on his way bringing my vehicle back to me.
msagwah

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">