• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notary authorization to get vehicle from towing company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Avighegde

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas.

My friend left her car in my apartment parking (in Irving, TX) while she is away visiting her family in India. Her car got towed because of expired registration sticker. She will not be back for another 2 weeks. Towing company said they will need me to get a notorized letter from my friend, authorizing me to pick up her car from the towing company. Can the towing company accept if my friend get notary from India and emails it to me? Or is there anything else that can me done to authorize me to pick up her car? The towing charge keeps mounting every day

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas.

My friend left her car in my apartment parking (in Irving, TX) while she is away visiting her family in India. Her car got towed because of expired registration sticker. She will not be back for another 2 weeks. Towing company said they will need me to get a notorized letter from my friend, authorizing me to pick up her car from the towing company. Can the towing company accept if my friend get notary from India and emails it to me? Or is there anything else that can me done to authorize me to pick up her car? The towing charge keeps mounting every day
First, I would talk to the tow company and explain that she is in India and won't be back for two more weeks and as them if they would accept email or fax authorization with her providing Identification with the email or fax.

However, that is not going to solve the overall problem if the registration is expired. I most states a tow company cannot release a car without the registration being renewed first. If they can in your state, then you will have to store the car somewhere where it cannot be towed again.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Your friend is going to learn that car ownership brings other responsibilities along with it.

If I was in charge at that tow company the car would not be released to you. Either way it's going to be a more expensive trip than your friend had planned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">