• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pay out of pocket for fender bender?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Laniogorman

California - I caused a fender bender. My car is fine, the other guy got an estimate for the damage to his car and it is $860, he is willing to let me pay out of pocket. I already have a point on my record from a previous accident a couple years ago, so would it be worth it for me to pay out of pocket? It’s less than $1000 in damage so I don’t have to report it to the dmv. I would also have the other driver sign a release of liability.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
California - I caused a fender bender. My car is fine, the other guy got an estimate for the damage to his car and it is $860, he is willing to let me pay out of pocket. I already have a point on my record from a previous accident a couple years ago, so would it be worth it for me to pay out of pocket? It’s less than $1000 in damage so I don’t have to report it to the dmv. I would also have the other driver sign a release of liability.
"Worth it" is a financial decision that only you can make.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My question is... would I be covered from a legal stand point having the other party sign a release of liability?
If properly worded, you should be. We can't help you with the wording, as it goes beyond the scope of this forum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">