• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about demand letter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ElizabethLynn

Hello - my son was in a car accident a few months ago and is trying to write a demand letter for pain and suffering.

My question is this:

His car was totalled during the accident (not his fault). From what I've read online, he should include all expenses related to the accident (I'm assuming hospital charges, medicine, etc., even if he has insurance and didn't pay for all of them? Let me know if that is incorrect).

If the vehicle was totalled, but he was reimbursed for the blue book value, does he include the total cost of the car as an expense?

If not, he did have trouble finding a way to get to work, which was pain and suffering. How does he figure out how much $ to ask for for the inconvenience of having no car, then having to buy a new one (new registration, etc.)?

Thank you! any help is much appreciated. He lives in California.

PayrollHRGuy

That is what worried me. There is very good chance that when he was paid he signed a release of further claims.

He needs to find copies of anything he signed when he got the check.

ElizabethLynn

thank you for responding. He says Geico has been calling every day to settle the pain and suffering portion, so hopefully that means he didn't sign anything.

ecmst12

Property damage is normally settled separately from injury claims. A release on the property damage portion would not include a release from injury claims.

Just Blue

Hello - my son was in a car accident a few months ago and is trying to write a demand letter for pain and suffering.

My question is this:

His car was totalled during the accident (not his fault). From what I've read online, he should include all expenses related to the accident (I'm assuming hospital charges, medicine, etc., even if he has insurance and didn't pay for all of them? Let me know if that is incorrect).

If the vehicle was totalled, but he was reimbursed for the blue book value, does he include the total cost of the car as an expense?

If not, he did have trouble finding a way to get to work, which was pain and suffering. How does he figure out how much $ to ask for for the inconvenience of having no car, then having to buy a new one (new registration, etc.)?

Thank you! any help is much appreciated. He lives in California.
How old is your son?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">