• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sale of Vehicle - NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Apollo77

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

My girlfriend sold her 2002 Mercedes Benz last year for $2K. It was sold and money exchanged hands without signing of vehicle title. She did not have the title at the time. She finally retrieved a copy of the title forwarded to her from bank after the ex boyfriend threatened to take her to Small Claims Court. Admittedly, she was slow in getting the title. She and this ex boyfriend agreed that she would send the title to him by Fed Ex and he would return a copy of the title and license plates since he lives in PA. He acknowledged via text message that he received the Fed Ex package on Feb 27 and would forward a copy of the signed title and NJ Plates. She has not received the title or plates as of yet. She texted him in the middle of last week requesting that he send plates & copy of signed title as agreed. He claimed he was sick and would send the plates and title during the week of March 9th, 2018. I fear that this individual will not send the plates or signed title for whatever reason. He is not exactly a nice person. What should she do? Should she write a letter to NJDMV explaining the situation? She can prove that a financial transaction took place. I'm afraid something might happen with vehicle and she will be blamed. Yea, I know, she did not handle this very well. However, the hand still needs to be played.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'd bet that boyfriend would move faster with a nice new hundy in his hand...or heck, maybe even a couple of twenties. I mean, it WAS his car too after all...just sayin'

Apollo77

How does the ex have the plates?
When they exchanged money, he drove off with the car with a promise that she would get the title to him. I realize this was not handled well. As I mentioned, I still need to fix this, in the event that it does not proceed well. Make sure she has no liability. I don't think he has really driven the car much. I think she may have to go through NJDMV.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
When they exchanged money, he drove off with the car with a promise that she would get the title to him. I realize this was not handled well. As I mentioned, I still need to fix this, in the event that it does not proceed well. Make sure she has no liability. I don't think he has really driven the car much. I think she may have to go through NJDMV.
I get it - she transferred the vehicle to the ex. You weren't really clear on that.

Yes, she's going to want to talk to the DMV about the matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">