• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I Ask Renter For Police Report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOY

All of these events happened in Brooklyn, which is in New York City, which is in New York State. The renter slipped by himself, and crashed my motorcycle, which was the renter's own fault. When I went to a motorcycle repair shop, the motorcycle repairer said would cost about $3,500 to repair. Here is how I will be compensated, I pay the motorcycle repairer, then I send an invoice or receipt to Riders-Share, then Riders-Share charges the renter, and then Riders-Share pays me. I may need to sue him in small claims court if the renter refuses to pay Riders-Share, who will compensate me for repairing my motorcycle. Riders-Share is a motorcycle renting company, where individuals advertise to rent out their motorcycles. I got Riders-Share's optional liability waiver, which both the renter and I signed our signatures. I got two different questions, 1) how long after the crash do I got to sue the renter in small claims court? 2) Should I ask the renter to get the police report and hand over the police report to me?

adjusterjack

1) how long after the crash do I got to sue the renter in small claims court?
3 years.

2) Should I ask the renter to get the police report and hand over the police report to me?
Up to you.

But I would think that it's easier and quicker for you to go to the PD and get it yourself.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Does your insurance company know you rent your motorcycle?

You can't get a copy of the "police report" from the Police Department. I will go out on a limb and assume it was a MV-104A - Police Accident Report. You have to get those online from DMV, but Albany won't get it very quickly.

You can TRY to get a paper copy from the precinct, but it may be difficult.

If you sue the renter and win good luck collecting the money.

DOY

Report of Motor Vehicle Accident?

The renter who I rented my motorcycle

to slipped, and crashed, which caused

about damage to the motorcycle. A

motorcycle repairer said it would cost

about $3,500 to repair the damage. I

got a question, do I need to fill out

Report of Motor Vehicle Accident (MV-

104)?

Last edited by a moderator:

DOY

What do you mean "probably is aware"?

My insurance is StateFarm, and their Auto and Motorcycle polices

exclude (meaning they won’t provide coverage) when you rent your

motorcycle for $. Anytime $ is involved, it becomes a “car business” risk

that State Farm can’t insure. My policy does extend to someone you

allow to use the motorcycle (as long as no money is exchanged) which

means the liability coverage would apply if the person I let use my bike

ran into someone and caused damage to their car, building, or injury to

a person. My policy would pay for the damage to the other person. My

policy doesn’t provide coverage for damage to your motorcycle. The

StateFarm insurance company does not provide coverage rentals, so it

does not matter whether StateFarm is aware or not.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

My policy does extend to someone you allow to use the motorcycle (as long as no money is exchanged)

You can spin it any way you want to but you are making money from renting your motorcycle. You are in violation of your policy provisions.

PayrollHRGuy

I got a question, why am I in violation of my StateFarm insurance policy provisions?
Because it isn't for a rental motorcycle.

I'd never heard of Riders Share so I looked them up. The only mention of insurance they provide is this.

Remember, Riders Share protects each rental with up to one million dollars in liability protection. We strive for a safe and enjoyable experience for everyone involved.
That means they protect you if your bike while being rented out hurts the rider or a third party I assume. It does nothing to protect your bike. And I don't see a thing in their requirements that require the renter to have insurance.

Last edited by a moderator:

ecmst12

It just means if you try to claim on your collision coverage for an accident while you were renting out the vehicle, you won't be covered. If your renter were to cause an accident, the damage to the other vehicle would be covered by the insurance provided by the ride share company - your personal policy won't provide coverage for that either. You should still be covered for anything that happens while you are personally using your vehicle.

HighwayMan

...so can I only get the Police Report online from the DMV?

I already told you this - you need to get the report from the DMV. By the time the paper report is sent to Albany and is made available it could be a number of weeks or even a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">