• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I Disclose Insurance Payment To Auto Body Shop?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tarkus

I'm receiving a check from the insurance company of someone who was at fault. Should I tell an auto body shop that I have insurance claim money for the repairs or not? I'm thinking I may get a better price if I tell them that there's no insurance involved. If it doesn't matter and they ask how much they gave me, should I refuse to disclose the amount?

PayrollHRGuy

I would get the quote before I told them. I'm surprised though that you are getting a check from insurance without already having a quote.

adjusterjack

I'm receiving a check from the insurance company of someone who was at fault. Should I tell an auto body shop that I have insurance claim money for the repairs or not? I'm thinking I may get a better price if I tell them that there's no insurance involved. If it doesn't matter and they ask how much they gave me, should I refuse to disclose the amount?
Up to you. It's not a legal issue.

adjusterjack

I'm surprised though that you are getting a check from insurance without already having a quote.
Common practice. Many insurance companies will handle liability claims that way when they have their own adjusters write up the collision repair cost and then send the check. It gets the claim closed quickly and any adjustments in the repair cost can be handled later as a supplement if appropriate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">