• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this usual for a Claims Adjuster to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Armina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I was in an auto accident. A City truck rear-ended me.
It hurt my back and my blood pressue went up so I was taken to the ER to be checked out.
My injuries were soft tissue - nothing lasting though I was very sore for awhile. I missed 3 days of work, my husband missed 2.
Being the City, I was told I had to file a claim against the city, which I did. They paid for the repairs to my car, the towing, the ER and a rental car with no problem.
But I didn't hear anything more - I had submitted the pharmacy receipts, paystubs for the time missed from work,
Actually, they didn't pay the ER bill right away and I got a notice that it was past due. So I called them and they said they'd take care of it. Then I got another notice !!! and called them again. This time I asked to know where in the process we were at. They said they'd send me the info... again I heard nothing.
I called twice more, and still received nothing.
finally I looked on their webpage and found the supervisor's email and emailed him and the adjuster asking why I hadn't heard from them.
Immediately I got a letter in the mail saying they had the info for the medications and the lost wages but were waiting for me to tell them what I wanted in Pain and Suffering??!!
Is this normal? I had thought they would make an offer on this.
I have no idea what to ask for.
I don't have any permanent disability, was injured slightly, not serious but did have some pain for a couple of weeks.
What should I ask for? <clueless>
Thanks, Armina

Armina

How to present the amounts I'm asking for

I had already given the insurance company copies of all my receipts, they were waiting for me to tell them how much I wanted for "pain and suffering".
Now I have come up with an amount for that, what is the best way to present this to them?
Should I just type up all the totals and give them that? Or is there a specific way to present this information?
Thanks, Mina

Armina

I'm wondering what the purpose of this forum is. All I get are mocking answers. I really don't appreciate it.
Maybe you know all the ins and outs of this stuff.. I don't.
I was in an accident. I was struck by a driver who wasn't paying attention to what he was doing. I was stopped at an intersection waiting for the traffic to clear.
Now I'm supposed to know all of this ridiculous information. And I'm very frustrated with it all.
You say the insurance company will never offer anything, but that's not true.
Several years ago I was in an accident - and this one was rather comical. I was traveling over a bridge heading toward a tunnel. I was in the left lane, another car was in the right lane - the front of his car was about at my rear right door.
There was an electronic sign. Suddenly the sign changed and said "right lane closed ahead, move to the left lane" so he did! right into me. We exchanged info, etc. I went on home and within one hour his insurance was at my house, they cut me a very generous check for the damages (and the estimate was right on with the cost of the damages - and my car was less than a year old), gave me a voucher for a rental car, had me going again immediately. Told me if I had any injuries to let them know and if the cost of the car was any different they would cover it. There was just no problem at all with that insurance company. They were great (It was Progressive).
This company - I've had to call and ask over and over for every little thing. It's been a real bit pain. And I'm sick of it. Here it is 5 months later and we're still not done with it.
I just want my prescriptions paid for, my lost hours from work, and a little compensation for the disruption to my life. (I'm asking for $300.00 - one times my out of pocket medical expenses) I'm not looking to get rich here.
So be helpful, or just don't answer.
Thanks

ecmst12

I'm not mocking you. I'm telling you not to over-think or make things more complicated then they need to be. Ask for what you want in plain and simple language.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">