• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

We might be getting sued for son's auto accident...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

biffala

What is the name of your state? Arkansas

my 17 year old son was in an auto accident. it was raining, & he lost control of his car on a curve, & was struck by another car, which was then struck by a different car. he was cited for driving too fast for conditions, though the officer said he was not speeding. he was ok (thankfully) as was the driver of the 3rd car. a man in the 2nd car had a broken leg. my son's car was totalled, the 2nd was totalled, & the 3rd sustained $5,500 in damage. our insurance has already paid to fix the 3rd car.

i just got a letter from my insurance company today, that the damages might have exceded our coverage. (Farmers Ins. Co.) we had the state minimum liability. i'm scared to death we're gonna get sued. :( what do i do now? we have a little money in savings, but not much. my husband just started a new job in January, after a 9 month lay off. if we get sued, can i declare bankruptcy? our home (a mobile) is paid for, & so is the land it sits on. our car is paid for, & so are our 2 son's cars. can someone take all out (meger) posessions away from us? i'm freakin out here!!!

also, i'm not so sure that car 2 wasn't speeding when they hit my kid. :mad:

my son is a good kid. he was not on drugs or drinking at the time of the accident. (or ever, for that matter) even the guy at the salvage yard was surprised he got a ticket. he said that logging trucks go up & down that stretch of road every day, & with the rain it's really slick. it could have happened to anyone. :(

any advice would be greatly appreciated. :(

P

Pfaffing85690

Yes, you could get sued.

It doesn't matter that the second car "could have been speeding" or that the road was slick or anything else about the situation. Your son was found at fault and were it not for his inability to keep his car under control for the conditions, there would have been no accident, no third car and no second car.

The best you can do now is to wait to see if you will be sued. If so, then check your insurance policy to see if they are required to furnish you with an attorney. If not, there's not much good news.

B

biffala

ok. :(

i talked to the guy at the insurance company, & luckily (i think) the man who was injured had underinsured coverage. once they check & see that we don't have many assets, his insurance will probably cover him instead of coming after us.

i feel just awful for everyone involved, & my son does too.

thanks for the reply.

racer72

Don't be too sure yet, his insurance company will probably come knocking looking for reimbursement for what they pay out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">