• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What would be the best Plea option for rear ending a car? bad weather conditions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sudigadu777

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Tennessee

I have rear-ended a car recently at around night 10 PM in Chattanooga, TN. The accident happened while merging onto a state highway and there were no injuries to any one but the cars had minor damage. It was an unfamiliar route for me and I was not expecting a Stop sign while merging on to a high way. I was maintaining enough distance (Three second gap) and was monitoring on going traffic as I was merging on to a highway. I suddenly saw a STOP sign board and saw that the car before me came to a stop. I applied brakes but the car skid/slided and I hit the car. It was very dark and was freezing outside, so I was not sure if the car skid because of the black ice formation. My car is an old car (2003 Model) and it did not have advanced safety features like the newer cars have.

We called 911 and the police officer gave me a citation "Following too closely" and "Failure to take proper care". He asked me to appear before court.

Fortunately, I got to know that the other driver is a friend of my friend. I called the insurance and his damages are taken care. The other driver is not going to appear before court.

In this case, what would be my best plea option? Would there be a chance of considering the bad weather conditions and other factors to drop the charges against me? Freezing conditions are not so common in Chattanooga. As the other driver is a friend of my friend, I do not want to contest against him.

Please help. Thanks in Advance.

justalayman

My car is an old car (2003 Model) and it did not have advanced safety features like the newer cars have.
. My 1993 middle of the model line ford had anti lock brakes, but that’s irrelevent just as your statement you’re didnt have anti lock brakes is.

Was there a sign while approaching stating ; stop ahead or anything similar?

As the other driver is a friend of my friend, I do not want to contest against him.
. Just what do you believe you could say that would put any blame on that guy? Remember, he’s the guy that saw the stop sign and stopped.

FlyingRon

Your friend and your desire to be nice to him has squat to do with your traffic ticket. It's not Him vs. You, it's the State of Tennessee vs. You. People who drive unsafely are a danger to people in general. Your insurance (or whatever subsequent civil action) will take care of your liability for the civil damages you caused.

You haven't said anything that even hints at a defense, but it's your right to plead not guilty and have the state prove their case. If you really want to avoid the ticket, your best bet would be to get an attorney who can take an informed and impartial look at the facts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">