• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong Way Driver hit me, I was charged

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigshow

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I live in a gated apartment complex. The entrance into the complex only goes to the right, and residents are required per our lease to follow the one way signs. The exit is next to the entrance, but you must drive all the way around the complex to exit.

On September 7 at 7:45pm I was coming home from work, entered the complex and preceded around the right side of the buildings. Another tenant came down the wrong way, so I honked my horn, we both attempted to swerve, but I swerved into her car, causing her to hit another car.

Now she is suing me for her medical bills, lost wages, and for car repairs. The owner of the other car is also planning on suing my insurance for his damage.

I received 2 tickets for "FAILURE TO MAINTAIN LANE" & 'RECKLESS DRIVING". The police officer said I acted with malacious intent to run another vehicle of the road, and engaged in road rage like content. The lady told the police that I blasted my horn and cursed at her.

A family that resides at the apartment witnessed the accident from their back patio, and told the police officer that the other driver has a history of going the wrong way to the exit. The witnesses also said I was not in any rage, and I only honked the horn, and I did not cuss at the lady.

The apartment complex management has revoked my lease, effective immediately, I have til October 1 to find a new place to live.

What is my legal recourse?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I live in a gated apartment complex. The entrance into the complex only goes to the right, and residents are required per our lease to follow the one way signs. The exit is next to the entrance, but you must drive all the way around the complex to exit.

On September 7 at 7:45pm I was coming home from work, entered the complex and preceded around the right side of the buildings. Another tenant came down the wrong way, so I honked my horn, we both attempted to swerve, but I swerved into her car, causing her to hit another car.

Now she is suing me for her medical bills, lost wages, and for car repairs. The owner of the other car is also planning on suing my insurance for his damage.

I received 2 tickets for "FAILURE TO MAINTAIN LANE" & 'RECKLESS DRIVING". The police officer said I acted with malacious intent to run another vehicle of the road, and engaged in road rage like content. The lady told the police that I blasted my horn and cursed at her.

A family that resides at the apartment witnessed the accident from their back patio, and told the police officer that the other driver has a history of going the wrong way to the exit. The witnesses also said I was not in any rage, and I only honked the horn, and I did not cuss at the lady.

The apartment complex management has revoked my lease, effective immediately, I have til October 1 to find a new place to live.

What is my legal recourse?
Your legal recourse is to counter sue. Have you gotten your insurance company involved?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
That seems a bit excessive. Are any witnesses willing to testify to what they saw in court?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">