• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Age to purchase prepaid card.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

meagerlaw

The state I am in: New Mexico
My brother wants to purchase the gift card, they declined and they said "It is against the law to sell prepaid cards/gift card for anyone under 14". Is this true?

Last edited:

justalayman

I don't know if it's against the law but the seller can set rules such as not selling whatever to minors. So whether it's against the law the merchant can refuse to sell it to your brother.

adjusterjack

Here's what amounts to the New Mexico gift card law:

http://law.justia.com/codes/new-mexico/2016/chapter-57/article-12/section-57-12-26/

I don't see anything in there that prohibits selling gift cards to minors of any age.

My guess is that the store people just don't want to take any chances selling to a minor because a minor is allow by law to disavow contracts.

If your brother wants to make an issue of it he should ask "What law? Please cite me a statute number so I can look it up."

If the person can't comply then he's probably clueless and your brother's option is to go elsewhere and buy the card or just pay cash for whatever he wants to buy at whatever store he wants the card for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">