• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank Cashier Check -STOPPED!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kyfung

Indiana-

Hello, I had a bank cashier checknissued to me in Nov3, 2017 for $5400. I was not aware of the check nor was I expecting it. I found this check on Dec17,2017 in the crevice inside my car. At first I assumed it was a fake or a scam, then I remember years ago I received a similar check from a different bank that was good and I was not expecting. So, I called bank and they confirmed it was good but couldn’t tell me why I got it. Still a little leery I stopped in and talked to a branch manager who also said he sees a record ifnitnbeinybissued to me but that was all he could see. He made a copy and was going to check and get back with me. Never heard from him and a week later I deposited into my bank with my checking account. No problem. A week later, I was informed the check had a stop payment on it. My bank was confused considering they said these checks are guaranteed and can’t be stopped.

I researched and found the same thing, although I am sure there is some hidden way to stop then. Nobody can tell em whybitnwas stopped itherbthen thatbthe stop date was 3 weeks after the ussueingbdate. Still no word on why I got it. I can assume it has to do with a mortgage I had with the bank that was paid off little prior to issue if check. I received a letter indicating mortgage was satisfied and paid in full. On the check itself. In the memo area, it says credit balance and my mortgage account number is listed. So, I can assume this is why I got the check. My bank where I deposited it isnunderstanding but bam still on the hook for $5400. They are trying to find out and they are giving to their attorneys to find out.

Anybody have any idea what is going on with this and why it would be stopped 3 weeks after ussueing? What I read I see they can not be cancelled. They can if lost or stolen but nothing shady is going on with this one.

Thank you

xylene

Your banks law department is working on it.

You seem to be confused about pretty large sums of money, so you might want someone to look over your financials.

Try not to misplace high denomination checks and then not cash them.

Kyfung

Your banks law department is working on it.

You seem to be confused about pretty large sums of money, so you might want someone to look over your financials.

Try not to misplace high denomination checks and then not cash them.
Huh? Cashier checks can be stopped due to good or bad financials?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
No. People generally don't have checks for thousands of dollars showing up crammed in some corner of their car. You need help with your financials because you can't keep track of your money.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
...and there it goes, right over your head.

If you are really this lost about your own financial situation, then you need outside help.

Kyfung

...and there it goes, right over your head.

If you are really this lost about your own financial situation, then you need outside help.
Hmmm, 2 helpful replies. FYI, I wasn’t aware of check, as I indicated, so not noticing it not arriving seems understandable. Could be wrong, but I would expect at some point of picking up mail during a lifetime, it could be possible an envelope could possible be lost.

Just Blue

Hmmm, 2 helpful replies. FYI, I wasn’t aware of check, as I indicated, so not noticing it not arriving seems understandable. Could be wrong, but I would expect at some point of picking up mail during a lifetime, it could be possible an envelope could possible be lost.
...It was the Bank Fairy ....

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
In spite of your post being nonsensical, I do understand what you are trying to say. Yes, it's possible that you grabbed mail and then a piece of mail fell between your seat cushions. Perhaps, in addition to the financial guidance, you need organization skills assistance as well.

HRZ

In the meantime look it up in UCC 3.441 ..the bank better honor a check drawn upon the bank unless they have a darn good reason....what is thier reason..push for answers . Fraud is a good one for denIal and there seem to be a lot,of fake certified checks out there... ...but an internal bank error does not sound like a good one to deny an instruement issued by bank as valid on its face ...they issued it !.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">